List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: On TLB flushing
From:       Russell King - ARM Linux <linux () arm ! linux ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-04-17 11:45:16

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 07:04:23PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> This bug will affect _all_ ARM platforms, so it should be reproducable
> here...

Ok, I'm unable to reproduce the bug here because very few of my machines
use the TLB_V4WBI code (iow, they don't have the right TLB architecture
and supporting instructions to allow the bug to show itself.)

This is a perfect example where you can have a long standing bug which
goes unnoticed until the community picks up the kernel and starts using
it in anger on their projects.

So those who whinge "I can't use 2.6 because it isn't stable yet" take
note - a kernel can _only_ become stable if it gets _used_.  You can't
rely on one person to suddenly produce a stable kernel one day; it just
doesn't work like that.