List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: 2.4.18-rmk7 fails to link "vmlinux" (undefined symbol's)
From:       Nick Patavalis <npat () inaccessnetworks ! com>
Date:       2002-10-29 17:12:51

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 10:34:31AM +0800, Ben Lau wrote:
> I would like to ask another off-topic question about
> using CVS on kernel source.  :)

Fine with me. I'm not sure though about the other list-members.

> I d/l the kernel source from kernel.org and import
> into the CVS.  And then my partner checkout a copy and
> try to patch it with arm patch. Finally it would
> produce a lot of .rej file. I have checked with the
> source, i find that the RCS keyword like $Id$ was
> replaced by the CVS version for my cvs... therefore it
> caused the patch file fail.... do I have method to
> avaid it?

Yes you have. Remember that keywords are substituted when a file is
checked-out. So in order to suppress keyword substitution, and thus
retain the original keyword strings (the ones that were in the sources
when you imported), you have to:

  cvs co -ko linux

This will work for files that you have not modified.

Anyway I think---and please comment on this---that a patch containing
chuncks about CVS keywords is a Bad Thing. If one is building the
patch from sources outside a CVS tree, then there should be no reason
for chuncks to be produce for the CVS keywords (i.e. one has no reason
to manually change the CVS revision numbers and dates). If on the
other hand the patch is produced from within a CVS repository, then
the "-kk" flag must be used to the diff command, like:

  cvs diff -kk -uN -r OLD_TAG -r NEW_TAG linux > linux.patch

This will force all keywords to be substituted by the keyword-name,
and thus eliminate any chunks about CVS keywords in the resulting
patch.

/npat

--
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring
will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first