List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    sa1110 software/watchdog reset & mtd
From:       Robin Farine <robin.farine () acn-group ! ch>
Date:       2002-09-23 16:39:09

Hi,

Our custom SA1110 boards, booting from flash memory, sometimes cannot
reboot after a software reset. We know that the RESET_OUT signal the
SA1110 asserts during software reset has a timing characteristic that
violates the requirements of at least some of Intel StrataFlash memories
reset signal. This means that if the Flash memory is not in read-array
mode when a soft/watchdog reset occurs, the CPU will sometimes read the
status of the Flash state-machine instead of its content.

I looked at the MTD driver for CFI Flash memories and I have the feeling
that after a block erase or a write operation, the Flash might stay in
read-status mode until the next read operation, and thus cause the above
mentioned problem.

Any comment on this?

Robin