List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: Blob with uncompressed kernel
From:       Nicolas Pitre <nico () cam ! org>
Date:       2002-07-29 15:56:25

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 04:11:37PM +0200, Peter Lueg wrote:
>
> > Which kernel(file) must i use or what must i do?
>
> If you really must, use Image.  Note, however, that we abhore any
> machine specific hacks at all appearing in arch/arm/kernel/head.S.

Image is often not necessarily a wise choice either.  The copying of the
much larger Image (compared to zImage) file size to ram from flash is
usually killing all latency benefits of not executing the
kernel decompressor.  You also lose the integrity chech the decompressor is
providing.

If the decompressor is directly executed from flash (opposed to copying
zImage to ram before executing) then you usually get the best boot latency.
Whether Blob is ready to use this possibility is something I don't know,
however the latest kernels are all set to do that already.

Nicolas