List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: IR keyboard on iPAQ
From:       Russell King - ARM Linux <linux () arm ! linux ! org ! uk>
Date:       2002-07-26 13:58:18

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 09:21:37AM -0400, Christian, Andrew wrote:
> I'm not very happy with any of these options.  Suggestions?

No.  But I'm hoping to evolve the serial layer that's just gone into 2.5
towards something that should allow such things to live better next to
each other.

Exactly when this'll happen I'm not sure - it'll be a _large_ pile of
work, and I think it's best done after Tytso's shakeup of the tty layer
happens.  Until that's complete (and it does need to be complete for
2.6 since its been broken on SMP machines by the latest round of IRQ
changes), I don't know what interface the tty layer will present to
any subsystems including serial beneath it.

There will definitely be some major changes in the serial/core.c file.
Whether this makes it easier or harder to make things like sa1100_ir.c
to sit beside serial/sa1100.c or not I have no idea yet.  Oh, and I'm
not going to design myself into a corner which'll be real hard to get
out of just yet.