List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: serial driver 2.2.x
From:       Eli Carter <eli.carter () inet ! com>
Date:       2002-06-28 19:43:50

Eli Carter wrote:
> Anyone have suggestions of how I could track this down?  Am I missing
> something obvious?

Hmm... perhaps I am... tty_name() of the tty shows it as ttyI0.

  ls -l /dev/{console,tty{I,S,}0}
crwxrwxrwx   1 root     root       5,   1 Oct 31  2001 /dev/console
crw-------   1 root     tty        4,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/tty0
crw-rw-r--   1 root     root      43,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/ttyI0
crw-------   1 root     tty        4,  64 Jun 28 14:42 /dev/ttyS0

console - system console
ttyI0 - virtual modem
ttyS0 - serial port
tty0 - current virtual console

Is anyone willing to give a high-level explanation of the differences of
the above devices? (Or a pointer to something?  I'm looking through
Documentation/* at the moment.)  I think I'm missing some fundamental
concepts somewhere...

TIA,

Eli
(Dropped Russell from the CC since he hasn't commented recently.)