List:       linux-arm
Subject:    Power Management query
From:       vatsa <vatsa () iname ! com>
Date:       2001-06-29 9:35:30

Hello,
I am working on a PDA based on SA-1110 processor (Intel Assabet board).
I have been looking at the Power Management features that
exist in the embedded Linux space for SA1110 and am
interested in contributing to it where required. I have some
queries in this regard - mostly they are directed at understanding
the current level of Power Management support and what still
needs to be done in this area. I am particulary interested
in putting APM support for Linux/StrongARM.

1. How good is the Power Management support in Linux/StrongARM?
   The StrongARM (SA1110) processor has several states : Run, Idle
   and sleep. I know that support exists in the Linux/StrongARM kernel
   and the bootloader (?) to switch the CPU between the above states.
   But do the various drivers (touchscreen, LCD, audio etc.)
   support Power Management? What still needs to be done here?

2. Coming to a standard like APM or ACPI. Has anyone ported
   APM/ACPI support for Linux/StrongARM? I did see that
   Linux/StrongARM has some code in it for APM support.
   How complete is it? Do all the APIs exist which are to be
   exported to user-space? What more needs to be done
   to support APM over Linix/StrongARM? I know that APM requires
   a daemon running in user-space. Is such a daemon available
   for Linux/StrongARM. What do I need to do put the full-blown
   APM support for Linux/StrongARM?

Thanks and Regards,
vatsa