List:       linux-arm
Subject:    Re: Embedded linux: syncronizing system time w/o onboard HW clock
From:       Wookey <wookey () aleph1 ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-10-18 11:46:01

On Mon 16 Oct, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> > Debian have packages for 'xntp3' and 'chrony' - a friendlier
> > implementation of the same sort of thing. These are probably rather too
> > heavyweight for most applications, but the chrony daemon is only 90K so
> > if you do need to keep reasonably accurate time on a net or
> > occaisionally-connected system this

> 	How do you figure 90k? Out of curiosity I just compiled it on an
> ia32 system and the chronyd binary is 382k. Is there some reason why it
> would be smaller rather than large on a RISC archetecture? Or are you
> refering to the memory footprint?

I just looked at the i386 binary straight out of the deb. It's 90K. (and
chronyc is 30K) - and obviously there is some overhead in the config files
etc. I admit I haven't compiled it for arm, but I usually find ARM binaries
are 5-15% larger than i386 binaries. Not sure why yours is so much bigger
than mine? (debugging, unstripped binaries, different versions?)

> 	On the ia32 system in question, both of the chrony binaries
> together come to about 523k, all of the various and sundry xntp3 binaries
> come to 435k.

hmm, I admit I'm perplexed. But this is getting rather off-topic so maybe we
should just ignore it for now  unless you are really interested in which case
we can compare notes by private mail.

Wookey
--
Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel (00 44) 1223 811679