List:       linux-arm
Subject:    Re: AT91RM9200EK Linux Installation Questions/Please Help
From:       "Marcus Nissemark" <marcus.nissemark () passito ! se>
Date:       2005-12-13 20:45:04

> I have AT91Rm9200EK board. I also downloaded linux-2.4.27-vrs1-ATMEL from
> atmel.com. I follow direction to build a kernel I have used make
> menuconfig
> and make config. I select at91rm9200 nad build the kernel with make dep
> and
> make zImage.
>
> I have also built Image in uncompressed form.
>
> I do have U BOOT already burned on flash at 20000000 address. I use this U
> BOOT to try loading the kernel from ram and from flash. Both attempts
> resulted
> in bad magic number error message.
>

> I am using U Boot right now. I download the code through U Boot and store
> it
> in ram and in flash. I then try to run the kernel. So far I have not gone
> far.
>
> I can load other programs fine and run them as well.
> I can manually load another U Boot and run it from ram or from flash.
>
> My goal right now is to setup linux on this board and start using it. I
> could
> not set it up properly. I am also looking into 2.6.5 and 2.6.6 uClinux.
>
> What should I use on this board. Should I use ARM Linux or should I
> compile
> uClinux? I am interested in getting started, and any help is appreciated.
>

> Thanks for your time,
> Roman

Perhaps this is a bit off-topic here, but I'll answer this briefly anyway.

Well, you could go for the latest kernel as well, available at
www.kernel.org. For instance, download the latest stable version,
2.6.14.3, and apply the 2.6.14 patch from
http://maxim.org.za/AT91RM9200/2.6/. Then configure the kernel to build
for arm, and choose the AT91Rm9200EK board. Then build your kernel.

Second, configure a ramdisk or root file system for your device, for
instance use one of the downloadable versions or make your own. For
instance, look at http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Ramdisk/ramdisk.html or
search the Internet as there is tons of information regarding this!

Third, make sure U-boot loads the kernel into RAM, and hands execution to
it. I.e download executable kernel to 0xADDRESS, then issue go command to
0xADDRESS. Also, the ramdisk should have been loaded to memory, or perhaps
written to flash.

Now a comment on your error. Bad magic number can mean that you try to use
a filesystem the wrong way, I had that problem when trying to read a jffs2
file system from U-boot. Skip file systems in U-boot to start with, just
load the kernel image and ramdisk image to the appropriate addresses, and
turn over execution there.

regards

/Marcus