List:       linux-arm
Subject:    Re: RS485 arm-linux driver
From:       "Jeff Sutherland" <jeffs () accelent ! com>
Date:       2002-09-18 13:09:26

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 09:38 am, Gad Hayisraeli wrote:
> [...]

Check the wiring diagram for the port in your manual.  Electrically RS232 and
RS485 are completely different, but the serial data format is the same.

> > > 2. can i control many RS232 from 1 RS485 ? or i have to convert each of
> > > them to RS485 ?

RS232 is strictly one on one.  RS485 is a half-duplex 'party line'
interconnect that can support up to 32 nodes.  With proper cabling and
terminations it's possible to get over 1km distance between two nodes, but
not with a 'star' wiring topology.  You need to use a 'ring' wiring method
kind of like 10-base2 (coax) Ethernet.  Correct cable termination is critical
to getting good distance performance as well.  As far as software goes, all
the IOCTLs needed are already supported.  Works fine for me on Linux.  Your
app, however, has to implement a protocol for managing all the devices, as
only one transmitter at a time can gain access to the line.
--
  Jeff Sutherland, Accelent Systems, Inc.   <http://www.accelent.com>