List:       linux-arch
Subject:    Re: [guv v2 23/31] tile: Replace __get_cpu_var uses
From:       Chris Metcalf <cmetcalf () tilera ! com>
Date:       2013-08-30 16:01:15

On 8/28/2013 2:13 PM, Chris Metcalf wrote:
> On 8/28/2013 1:54 PM, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Aug 2013, Chris Metcalf wrote:
> > > In addition, I applied the following commit to clean up the remaining
> > > uses that are currently only being carried in the linux-tile tree.
> > You are going to merge these changes right? I can drop the tile patch from
> > my series?
> Yes, I am, so please feel free to drop it.

Given the nacks from Peter Ziljstra and Ingo Molnar, I'm changing my mind and \
dropping this patch from my tree, so please continue to include arch/tile in your \
tree as you figure out how you want to restructure the overall series.

I reviewed the one commit in the linux-tile tree that added new __get_cpu_var uses \
(kprobes support), and concluded the code can safely use __this_cpu_write etc (and in \
fact the generic reset_current_kprobe method already does so), so I modified the code \
not to use __get_cpu_var.  So there shouldn't be any new uses from the tile tree \
after the merge window opens.

Their concerns feel particularly relevant to arch/tile since one of the commits \
queued for the merge window is support for preemption :-)

Thanks!

--
Chris Metcalf, Tilera Corp.
http://www.tilera.com