List:       linux-announce
Subject:    Linux-Announce Digest #883
From:       Digestifier <Linux-Announce-Request () senator-bedfellow ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2000-11-18 21:13:03

Linux-Announce Digest #883, Volume #3            Sat, 18 Nov 00 21:13:03 EST

Contents:
  tpconfig-3.1 Released (kall@compass.com)
  LinuxApprentice.com 04/2000 is out (Jacek Artymiak)
  xr3 - X11 ReplayTV Remote GUI for use with RedRat (George MacDonald)
  WWW: 5th German issue of the Linux NetMag (Andy Ziegler)
  Zile 1.3 - Zile Is Lossy Emacs (Emacs clone) (Sandro Sigala)
  Xref-java2html 1.1.0 (Marian Vittek)
  CoreLinux++ 0.4.30 Released ("Frank V. Castellucci")
  libclfw++ 0.2.5 Released ("Frank V. Castellucci")
  COMMERCIAL: Bootable ABACUS4 CDs (The Abacus User)
  Spam-Killer: Mailfilter ("Andreas Bauer")

From: "C&A Meetoo" <chrisavi@intnet.mu>
Subject: LOCAL: Announcing the Mauritius Linux User Group
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 00:24:44 GMT

******************************
The Mauritius Linux User Group
******************************

Hi !

I am very happy to announce the creation of a Linux User Group (LUG) in
Mauritius. This user group, as stated in the "Linux User Group HOWTO",
has the following aims :

* Advocate the use of Linux in the country. Talk about its superior design,
the numerous software available (GNU, etc.) and the fact that it is freely
available.

* Educate anyone wanting to become familiar with Linux. Help inexperienced
users with installation and the day-to-day running of the operating system.
In the long run, provide training for anyone wanting to become competent
with Linux.

* Support anyone having problems with Linux. A discussion list has already
been set up (see notes at the end).

* Make all Linux users (and lovers ?) meet. This is great to share
experience and have a good beer :-)

The broader aim of this User Group is to coordinate Linux activities in the
country as well as to serve as a liaison for the media (newspapers and TV).

For the time being, I would appreciate if current Mauritian Linux users as
well as aspiring users could subscribe to the mailing list so that we can
start discussing as soon as possible.

Thanks.
Avinash Meetoo.

Web site
- --------
A web site is available at http://people.intnet.mu/chrisavi/mauritius-linux

Note : This web site is currently under construction. It will be available
soon. For the time being, use the mailing list.

Mailing (or discussion) list
- ----------------------------
Post message to:                 mauritius-linux@egroups.com

Some information about me (Avinash Meetoo)

I am 27 and I live in Quatre-Bornes.

After 5 years of study in France, I was awarded a "Diplome d'Ingenieur en
Informatique" (from INSA Lyon, http://www.insa-lyon.fr) together with a
"Diplome d'Etudes Approfondies en Informatique" (from ENS Lyon,
http://www.ens-lyon.fr).

I am now a Lecturer in Computer Science at the Centre for Business Studies
of the Mauritius Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

I have been using computers for a long time (since 1988 in fact). During my
studies, I used a lot of different Unixes like HP-UX, Irix or Solaris.
In 1996, I had my first encounter with Linux at a friend's place.

I returned to Mauritius in 1998 and some time back, I bought a 15Gb hard
disk and installed Red Hat 6.2. Since then, I've upgraded to Red Hat 7.0
and everything is working wonderfully !

Lately, I've been having a lot of fun with...

   ... gnome, gtkmm, orbit, python, haskell (hugs), xmms, soundtracker, etc.

- --
http://www.iki.fi/mjr/cola-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce@news.ornl.gov
This group is archived at http://www.iki.fi/mjr/linux/cola.html

------------------------------

From: chicks@chicks.net
Subject: LOCAL: 29 Nov. - [HRPM] Meeting/Dinner Announcement
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 00:22:03 GMT

 Please pass the word on for the next Hampton Roads Perl Mongers meeting:

 What:         The monthly Hampton Roads Perl Mongers Meeting
               http://norfolk.pm.org/

 Who:          Everyone in Hampton Roads interested in perl.  There
               are no dues or signup requirements.  All are welcome to
               attend.

 Where:        Jefferson Lab in Newport News.  Directions are on the web
               and below.

 When:         7:30 PM till whenever on Wednesday 29 November 2000
               It's generally going to be on the last Wednesday of the
               month unless major holidays intervene.  (This puts us
               consistantly one week before TWUUG.)

 FOOD!:        6 PM right across Jefferson from the Lab at Plaza Azteca.
               Good Mexican food.  :-)

 Why:          Why not?  What could be better than to come and talk with
               others about the world's most fun programming language?
               Jabber, learn, teach, enjoy.  Starbucks is not far away.

 Agenda:       Whatever people on the HRPM mailing list decide!
               Various people who do perl rather often will be
               there to answer your perl questions.  Some expected
               topics are on the site.

               **    Chris Hicks will be re-presenting the well-received,
                     but not-so-well-attended presentation on advanced
                     data structures in perl.

 Directions:   http://norfolk.pm.org/location.shtml

               ( Have we finally got this right? - chicks )

               Take 64 until you get to the exit for Oyster Point West.

               Upon exiting, you will be on Oyster Point Road headed
               toward Jefferson Ave. (If, after exiting, you find yourself
               approaching the Kiln Creek shopping center and passing Farm
               Fresh and Kmart, you've exited in the wrong direction, so
               turn around.)  The third light ahead, and the biggest
               intersection, is Jefferson Ave.

               Turn left onto Jefferson and go to the second light. On
               your left is Jefferson Lab. On your right is Dixie Trailer
               Park.

               (On the right, near the first light on Jefferson coming
               from Oyster Point you will find Plaza Azteca.  Yum.)

               Turn left into Jefferson Lab (Onnes Road) and go about 100
               yards to the T-intersection at which Onnes ends.

               (Ignore the totally innocuous Guard Shack on your right.)

               Turn left and head (in between all the flag poles)
               directly to CEBAF Center where the meeting will be held.

               Turn right just before you reach the circular drive in
               front of CEBAF Center, and park in the parking lot you will
               see on your left.

               Find your way into the building and to the building atrium.
               The atrium is right off the circular drive.

               Room L104 branches off the atrium on the right.

> 1.  What is the possibility of this being added in the future?
In the near future, the probability is close to zero.  In the distant
future, I'll be dead, and posterity can do whatever they like...  :-) --lwall

- -
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
* To unsubscribe from the TWUUG discussion list, either send e-mail to
- -  twuug-announce-request@twuug.org with the word "unsubscribe" by itself
- -  in the body of the message or visit:
- -  http://www.twuug.org/lists/twuuglists.html

- --

From: kall@compass.com
Subject: tpconfig-3.1 Released
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 00:22:48 GMT

------------------------------

From: Jacek Artymiak <artymiak@safenet.pl>
Subject: LinuxApprentice.com 04/2000 is out
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 00:24:59 GMT

------------------------------

From: George MacDonald <gmd@slip.net>
Subject: xr3 - X11 ReplayTV Remote GUI for use with RedRat
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 00:26:46 GMT

                      Announcing Xr3 0.1 for Linux
                      ----------------------------

Xr3 is a simple GUI based remote control program to be used while watching
a ReplayTV via a Linux based TV card. A RedRat learning remote control
is used to communicate to the ReplayTV. The program allows you to control
the most frequently used ReplayTV functions, i.e.

        Channel Guide  -  TV Program listings
        Replay Guide   -  Recorded content and custom "Channels"
        Replay Zones   -  Programs index by subject, ...

        Trick Features - Quick Skip(30 seconds), Instant Replay(7 secs)
                         Slow Motion, Freeze Frame, Frame Advance

        Navigation     - Fast Fwd, Rew, Jump, Return to Live

        Other          - Every thing else but Number Keys(TBD shortly)

all from the comfort of your mouse! The RedRat learning remote control
sends the IR commands via your serial port. The xr3 program uses the rather
excellent IR perl script from David Kramer. This perl script can also be
driven from the command line, via email or interactively via the web!

Xr3 should run on most Linux systems, I use Red Hat 6.1 . It currently uses the
Motif toolkit which is now freely available, and it should also work
quite well with LessTif. I plan to quickly do a more substantial version
for GNOME/Gtk.

Please visit the Web site at:

        http://www.slip.net/~gmd/RedRat/index.html

for more details.

George MacDonald - gmd@slip.net

- --
We stand on the shoulders of those giants who coded before.
Build a good layer, stand strong, and prepare for the next wave.
Guide those who come after you, give them your shoulder, lend them your code.
Code well and live!   - gmd@slip.net (7th Coding Battalion)

- --

From: Andy Ziegler <andy.ziegler@desy.de>
Subject: WWW: 5th German issue of the Linux NetMag
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 01:27:57 GMT

The 5th German issue of the Linux NetMag is ready.
The translated English issue will follow as soon as possible. A few articles
are already translated and can be found at http://www.linuxnetmag.com

Die fünfte Ausgabe des Linux NetMag ist komplett.
http://www.linuxnetmag.de

Sie enthält Artikel zu folgenden Themen:

Software:
    *SuSE 7.0
    *Mozilla M18
    *Linux als Videorecorder
    *Freier X-Server für Windows
    *Windwomanager
Netzwerk:
    *Web2Fax-Gateway
    *Apache mit SSI
    *Webcam ohne Webcam
    *Booten übers Netz
    *offline-Mailingliste
    *Dial-In-Server: ISDN
    *echtzeit-Audio-Streaming
Hardware:
    *TV-Karte/Videotext
    *Logitech-Wheel-Mouse
    *Webcam selbstgebaut
    *LCD-Panel
Wissen:
    *Abenteuer ReiserFS
    *Linux-Devices
    *LinuxExpo -Brasilien

- --
ronny.ziegler@linuxnetmag.de
http://www.linuxnetmag.de
ICQ# 17823333
FAX: ++49 89 2443-27305

- --

From: Sandro Sigala <ssigala@globalnet.it>
Subject: Zile 1.3 - Zile Is Lossy Emacs (Emacs clone)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 01:28:09 GMT

Zile is another Emacs-clone.  Zile is a customizable, self-documenting
real-time display editor.  Zile was written to be similar as possible to
Emacs; every Emacs user should feel at home with Zile.

Zile features:

 - Small but fast and powerful.  It is very useful for footprint
   installations (like on floppy disk) or quick editing sessions.

 - 8-bit clean.  Zile can operate with binary files.

 - Looks like Emacs.  Most Zile key sequences and function names
   are identical to Emacs ones.

 - Multi buffer editing w/multi level undo.  Zile can open an
   infinite number of files and can record an infinite sequence of
   undo operations.

 - Multi window.  Zile can display multiple windows on the screen.

 - Killing, yanking and registers.  The typical killing, yanking and
   register features of Emacs are available under Zile.

 - Minibuffer completion.  Zile can complete the user written text.
   This is very useful for `M-x' commands and for selecting files.

 - Colors.  Zile makes use of the color capatibilities of the
   terminal if available.

 - Source highlighting ("C" and "C++" only for now).  Zile can
   highlight the "C" and "C++" source files for better reading.

 - Auto fill.  Zile automatically breaks the lines when they become
   too wide (if the Auto Fill Mode is enabled).

Latest version can be found at the address:
http://web.tiscalinet.it/ssigala/sandro

NEWS:

Changes between Zile 1.2 - Zile 1.3

* Implemented region highlighting.
* Added support for non-English character sets.
* Fixed a security hole that made Zile prone to "symlink attack".

LSM:

Begin4
Title:          zile - Zile Is Lossy Emacs
Version:        1.3
Entered-date:   16NOV00
Author:         ssigala@tiscalinet.it (Sandro Sigala)
Maintained-by:  ssigala@tiscalinet.it (Sandro Sigala)
Primary-site:   http://web.tiscalinet.it/ssigala/sandro/index.html
                170k zile-1.3.tar.gz
Alternate-size: sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/apps/editors/emacs/clones
                170k zile-1.3.tar.gz
Platforms:      ANSI C compiler, ncurses
Copying-policy: BSD
End

- --

From: Adrian Casey <axiiom@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: LOCAL: Alice Springs Linux User Group Xmas BBQ
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 01:29:05 GMT

------------------------------

From: Marian Vittek <vittek@www.xref.sk>
Subject: Xref-java2html 1.1.0
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 01:29:16 GMT

------------------------------

From: "Frank V. Castellucci" <frankc@colconsulting.com>
Subject: CoreLinux++ 0.4.30 Released
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 01:29:37 GMT

------------------------------

From: "Frank V. Castellucci" <frankc@colconsulting.com>
Subject: libclfw++ 0.2.5 Released
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 01:29:58 GMT

General:
The CoreLinux++ Abstract Framework Library (libclfw++) is a meant to
facilitate the development of commonly used frameworks for C++
applications. It does this by building upon the CoreLinux++ base library
(libcorelinux++) and providing common classes and the abstractions of
frameworks for extension.

CoreLinux++ (http://corelinux.sourceforge.net) is an initiative to
normalize methods and conventions for OOA/OOD/C++ development for Linux,
materialized in documentation, OO analysis and design models, and a set
of Open Source C++ class libraries to support common patterns,
frameworks, and exploit the C++ standards.

News: Quite a bit was added in regards to the whole meta thing. At the
highest level is the MetaSpace which manages Ontologies, which are the
semantic network of MetaClass composites which are the fat wrappers of
MetaType. Ontologies are organized in a namespace fashion, although the
standard of using that is implementation defined. Significant interface
changes from previous version, requires CoreLinux++ 0.4.30 and libuuid.

Web Download:
http://download.sourceforge.net/corelinux/libclfw-0.2.5.tar.gz
http://download.sourceforge.net/corelinux/libclfw-0.2.5-1.i386.rpm
http://download.sourceforge.net/corelinux/libclfw_0.2.5-1_i386.deb

Change reference
http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=16529

CoreLinux++ and libclfw++ use the LGPL license to minimize restrictions
on application use and extension.

Plans: With this addition of MetaClass we are able to add reasoning
capability to the Library Load abstraction, thus enabling the
implementation of the first concrete framework extension: Function
Library Load.

Full details of the project can be viewed from our the home page at
http://corelinux.sourceforge.net where you can also download the source
and documentation.

- --
Frank V. Castellucci
http://corelinux.sourceforge.net
OOA/OOD/C++ Standards and Guidelines for Linux

- --

From: The Abacus User <frank_abacus@hotmail.com>
Subject: COMMERCIAL: Bootable ABACUS4 CDs
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 01:37:03 GMT

------------------------------

From: "Andreas Bauer" <baueran@in.tum.de>
Subject: Spam-Killer: Mailfilter
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 01:38:36 GMT

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: Linux-Announce-Request@NEWS-DIGESTS.MIT.EDU

You can submit announcements to be moderated via:

    Internet: linux-announce@NEWS.ORNL.GOV

    ftp.funet.fi				pub/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux