List:       linux-announce
Subject:    Linux-Announce Digest #773
From:       Digestifier <Linux-Announce-Request () senator-bedfellow ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2000-04-26 22:58:45

Linux-Announce Digest #773, Volume #3            Wed, 26 Apr 00 17:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  COMMERCIAL: $9.50 Installation Book & 3 CDs for Red Hat (info@cheapbytes.com)
  Moon-buggy 0.5 - drive some car across the moon (Jochen Voss)
  KSnuffle-0.6 network packet sniffer for KDE (Mike Richardson)
  sysstat-3.2 - System performance tools for Linux (Sebastien Godard)
  COMMERCIAL Redhat 6.2 Linux Box ("may Feng")
  WWW: WhatifLinux.com - Intelligent Software Management (Keith Erskine)
  IPTraf - an IP network statistics utility (Gerard Paul Java)
  Cyrus SASL 1.5.20 released (authentication library) (Timothy Martin)

From: info@cheapbytes.com
Subject: COMMERCIAL: $9.50 Installation Book & 3 CDs for Red Hat
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:12:28 GMT

                     438 Page Printed Installation Book
                                    and
                     3 CDs Containing Red Hat 6.2 Files
                   ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cheap*Bytes, a company that specializes in low cost Linux related products,
announces the following:

We have a limited quantity of these available ready for you to order.

438 Page Installation Book Plus 3 CD-ROMs
  ---> Price: $9.50 (Yep, you read that right)
   http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070010495

The 3 CD-ROMs included are Installation, Source and Documentation.

Please see section 4 regarding copyright information.

Red Hat 6.2 Linux can be used as a UNIX (r) workstation for purposes from
running Web Servers to software development.

This is the newly released version complete with the new Red Hat
installation. Red Hat was easy to install before.  Now it is even easier!!!

1.  ORDERING INFORMATION
- - ------------------------
To order with your chargecard, you can use our *SECURED* web page at:

                        http://www.cheapbytes.com

Or just send us e-mail to sales@cheapbytes.com for details if you do not
have Web access.

For shipments in the United States and Canada, a check in U.S. dollars can
be sent in the amount of $0.89 or $2.49 or $3.49 plus $5 (CD-ROM product
only) to cover shipping and handling to:

CheapBytes
P.O. Box 2714
Lodi, CA 95241

COD orders are not accepted for this product.  For international
orders, please see our shipping schedule at www.cheapbytes.com/shiprate.htm

Shipping charges will be applied depending on destination.  Orders for
just this product will be shipped via U.S. First Class Mail or U.S. Airmail
depending on destination.  For shipping and handling charges, please review
our Web page.  All prices are in U.S. dollars.

International and chargecard orders are both gladly accepted.
Checks and money orders are accepted which are drawn in U.S. dollars.
Please see our web page to acquire an order form.

2.  AVAILABILITY
- - ----------------
These products are expected to be shipping late the week of April 3.

3.  TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- - ------------------------
We accept multiple CD orders of this product.  Buy enough for your whole
block or dorm! Shipping charges are applied by weight, not number of items.

4.  COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
- - -------------------------
Red Hat is a trademark of Red Hat software.  This product is not a product
of Red Hat, Inc. and not endorsed by Red Hat, Inc.  This is a product of
CheapBytes and we have no relationship with Red Hat, Inc.

The Linux kernel is Copyright 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 Linus Torvalds (others
hold copyrights on some of the drivers, filesystems, and other parts of the
kernel) and is licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

*** Various other copyrights apply. See the documentation accompanying the
software packages for full details.

5.  DISCLAIMER
- - -------------------------
Not responsible for typographical errors or information given to Cheap*Bytes
incorrectly from manufacturers and/or suppliers.  See our web page for
current pricing and policy information.  Prices subject to change without
notice.

Cheap*Bytes specializes in discounted computer software and books.  We offer
a variety of Linux products.  Through efficient use of the Internet, we
are able to offer great prices on great products!

       Cheap*Bytes  -  P.O. Box 2714  -  Lodi  -  CA 95241  -  USA
                           FAX  -  209-367-8518
     sales@cheapbytes.com (e-mail)  Web Page  http://www.cheapbytes.com

- --
http://www.iki.fi/mjr/cola-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce@news.ornl.gov
This group is archived at http://www.iki.fi/mjr/linux/cola.html

------------------------------

From: Jochen Voss <voss@mathematik.uni-kl.de>
Subject: Moon-buggy 0.5 - drive some car across the moon
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:10:43 GMT

------------------------------

From: Mike Richardson <mike@quaking.demon.co.uk>
Subject: KSnuffle-0.6 network packet sniffer for KDE
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:12:08 GMT

NOTE: Versions up to 0.3 inclusive had a great big security hole. Anyone
      using these should upgrade!

NEW : The big new addition to 0.6 is packet detail display, ie., show
      protocol structure and values. Watch those passwords whizz past!
      In addition, you can display the data in an inidividual TCP/IP
      stream (with due acknowledgement to Ethereal for the idea). There
      is also a DNS traffic plugin which displays basic DNS request/
      answer information (spot those naughty registrations .....)

      Version 0.6 also supports finer grained control for non-root users
      who are allowed to run KSnuffle. Such users may be restricted to
      seeing protocol data only (ie., application data is zapped); a pre-
      filter (tcpdump(8) style) can also be applied so that they only see
      some subset of network traffic. Useful for normal users debugging
      network applications.

NOTE: I have given all this a reasonable testing; you would probably
      want to check it out yourself! All feedback and bug reports
      welcome. Please see the Caveats section in the documentation.

MANDRAKE:
      There seems to be a problem building on Mandrake 7.0 with gcc 2.95
      I've installed the latest autoconf for Mandrake on my RedHat box
      and used it to build the configure script, but I've no way of
      testing whether this has any effect - feedback please!

- -----[The Actual Announcement]----------------------------------------

KSnuffle is a network packet sniffer for KDE. Features include:

        * Basic filtering and packet selection via the GUI
        * Advanced filtering and packet selection via filter programs
        * Multiple concurrent monitors
        * Text and binary logging, plus replay of binary log files
        * Textual display of network traffic overview
        * Full(er) details of protocol and application data available
        * Display of data in TCP/IP streams
        * Network load histograms and time-averaged load display
        * Parallel display of multiple load histograms
        * Save and restored filter and packet selection configurations
        * Support for use by selected non-root users
        * Plugin support - 0.6 contains dns, summary and end-to-end plugins

In its current state it is, so far as I can tell, quite reliable. The
main area where is is lacking is actually decoding different network
packets. At the moment, it handles basic decoding of TCP/IP and UDP/IP,
plus ARP/RARP and ICMP. Packet decoding does not go down into the
application level except for DNS packets.

Also, KSnuffle uses libpcap-0.4, as used by tcpdump. As I only have access
to Linux boxen, I cannot build or test it for any other Unix. I'd be
interested if anyone else could try.

The plugin interface as changed a tiny bit, specifically the structure
returned by "getPlugin" has changed. If (in the unlikely event) anyone
has written a plugin, see the PLUGINS file for details.

KSnuffle is available from ftp://195.92.31.34/pub/ksnuffle-0.6/ ; there
is a homepage at http://www.quaking.demon.co.uk/ksnuffle.html. The latter
contains some screen shots and other information.

- --

From: Sebastien Godard <sebastien.godard@wanadoo.fr>
Subject: sysstat-3.2 - System performance tools for Linux
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:12:51 GMT

------------------------------

From: "may Feng" <fengmay@hotmail.com>
Subject: COMMERCIAL Redhat 6.2 Linux Box
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:14:09 GMT

------------------------------

From: ahm@thrasher.research.bell-labs.com (Andreas Meyer)
Subject: LOCAL: LUNICS (NJ) meeting, May 1st
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:13:29 GMT

------------------------------

From: Keith Erskine <kerskine@acrylis.com>
Subject: WWW: WhatifLinux.com - Intelligent Software Management
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:13:15 GMT

Greetings:

Acrylis Inc. would like you to invite you to try a new innovative
web-based service - WhatifLinux.com.  You can find out more from
website:

         http://www.whatiflinux.com

WhatifLinux.com is an Internet-delivered software management service
that helps you make better informed
and less risky decisions about open-source software. WhatifLinux.com
provides a software decision support tool that proactively monitors each
of your unique systems' software and system configuration. Using
WhatifLinux.com, you receive automated delivery notification of critical
software updates, security alerts and new releases from our service
directly to your WhatifLinux management console. WhatifLinux.com can
manage anywhere from a single server to an entire network made up of
dozens of servers.

You can find our more about our service by registering yourself on the
site and trying its features.  The site is set up so some information is
open to the public without registering.  If you choose to register
(which we hope you will do), you gain access to more specific
information pertaining to your Linux system. After registration, you
also have the opportunity to download a software agent and management
console to run on a Linux server.  Even if you don't choose to install
the agent and console, you can still access our knowledge base of
information from your browser.

If you need any other information, or have any questions, please contact
me.  Once you've tried WhatifLinux.com, give me a call or send me an
email with any feedback on your experience.   If you know anyone else
who you think might benefit from using WhatifLinux.com, please feel free
to forward this message.

Thank you for your support,

Keith Erskine - Director of Product Management

- --
Keith Erskine               Acrylis, Inc.
http://www.whatiflinux.com  73 Princeton St.
tel: 1 978 251 1987 x261    N. Chelmsford, MA 01863, USA

- --

From: Gerard Paul Java <riker@seul.org>
Subject: IPTraf - an IP network statistics utility
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:10:20 GMT

------------------------------

From: Timothy Martin <tmartin@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Cyrus SASL 1.5.20 released (authentication library)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:14:28 GMT

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: Linux-Announce-Request@NEWS-DIGESTS.MIT.EDU

You can submit announcements to be moderated via:

    Internet: linux-announce@NEWS.ORNL.GOV

    ftp.funet.fi				pub/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux