List:       linux-announce
Subject:    Linux-Announce Digest #244
From:       Digestifier <Linux-Announce-Request () senator-bedfellow ! mit ! edu>
Date:       1998-10-14 16:13:25

Linux-Announce Digest #244, Volume #3            Wed, 14 Oct 98 16:13:25 EDT

Contents:
  binutils 2.9.1.0.15 is released. (H.J. Lu)
  sitecopy 0.2 - easily manage remote web site via FTP (Joe Orton)

From: John Goerzen (ACLUG) <aclug@complete.org>
Subject: LOCAL: ACLUG meeting October 19 (Wichita, KS)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:12:59 GMT

         --== Air Capital Linux Users Group of Wichita, KS ==--
                          http://www.aclug.org/

Monday, October 19, 1998: Graphical Linux    http://www.aclug.org/events/
Contact: John Goerzen <aclug@complete.org>
Location: 7:00/7:30 PM in 260 Jabara Hall at Wichita State (details below)
          This event is free and open to the public.  Please forward this
          message to anyone you feel may be interested in attending.

IN THIS MESSAGE
===============

 * Graphical Linux (ACLUG event)
 * Possible future events and/or Linux installation
 * Modified meeting format
 * Location information and links to maps
 * Contacts, Background information on ACLUG, and miscellaneous

GRAPHICAL LINUX
===============

Back in September, we demonstrated the power of the Linux command
line.  Linux also has several powerful and modern graphical user
interfaces (GUIs).  Many of these vaguely resemble the Windows
interface, but add their own unique features.  We'll talk about Gnome,
fvwm2, Enlightenment, the new Window Maker, IceWM, and more.  There
will be live demonstrations and brief reviews of the differences
between them and which audience each window manager is geared for.

Secondly, we'll talk about the different Linux distributions.  We'll
compare RedHat, Debian, Slackware, and any other distributions people
are interested in.  A highlight will be which distribution is right
for which people and why.  Also, a bit of history on the Linux
distributions and why Debian and RedHat are currently the most
popular.

Finally, time permitting, we'll talk about some legal issues behind
modern Linux.  A particular focus will be on KDE and commercial/free
software in Linux, which is particularly relevant given recent
developments.

ACLUG AND LOCAL LINUX NEWS
==========================

There has been some interest in another free Linux installation yet
this fall.  A tentative plan would be the first Monday or Saturday
after thanksgiving.  Your feedback would be appreciated.  Are you
interested in another free Linux installation event?  And if so, do
you prefer Monday or Saturday?

FUTURE ACLUG MEETINGS
=====================

Our next meeting is Monday, November 2.  There is no fixed agenda yet;
however, a likely topic would be personal Linux system
administration.  This covers how to set up and configure your own
Linux machine -- formatting and partitioning drives, configuring the
printing system, and the like.

MEETING FORMAT REMINDER
=======================

We're changing the format slightly.  In addition to a brief
introduction to the evening's topic, we'll have some Q&A time at 7:00 PM.

One issue that has been somewhat troublesome is making presentations
interesting and useful for people with a wide range of Linux
experiences.  We want our meetings to be useful for as many people as
possible, so our plan is this: For those of you that are starting out
with Linux, or just interested in what Linux can do, please feel free
to join us at 7:00 PM on each meeting date (every other Monday).
We'll cover some basics about the evening's topic or Linux in general.
Also, if you have any Linux questions (beginning or advanced), we'd
like to get to them between 7 and 7:30 so that the evening doesn't get
too late for those that have to work or go to class in the morning.

Our regular presentation will begin at 7:30 as it always has.  Off
course, if you can make it at 7, you're encouraged to stay for the
whole program.  You are welcome to arrive at either 7 or 7:30.

LOCATION & MAPS
===============

We will hold the this event in the Computer Science Department in
Jabara Hall on the main east campus of Wichita State University.
ACLUG has assembled some driving instructions on the Web at
http://www.aclug.org/maps/.  We will be located on the second floor of
Jabara Hall.  We expect to be in room 260, but we'll be sure to post
signs if we need to relocate elsewhere.  You'll be able to find a sign
on the wall in front of the 2nd floor elevator when you arrive.

MISCELLANEOUS

About the Air Capital Linux Users Group
- ---------------------------------------

ACLUG was created in early 1998 as a group to help people discover
better ways to take advantage of modern computing through the use of
Linux.  All ACLUG events are free; we have hosted two free Linux
installation events, during which Linux was installed on dozens of
computers for no charge.  We would like to show the benefits of Unix
operating systems such as Linux to as many people as possible.  ACLUG
members range from people just starting out with computers and Linux
to those that have written parts of the Linux system or are doing
computer research under the Linux platform.

About Linux
- -----------
Linux is a modern, fully 32- and 64-bit operating system that runs on
a wide variety of hardware.  Its most popular use is on PC-style
hardware, where Linux can completely replace Windows 95, Windows 98,
or NT.  Linux sports astounding reliability, power, flexibility,
scalibility, and networking.  Linux is the most popular OS for
Internet servers, beating NT.  Linux also works on less-expensive
computers than NT.

Linux is developed by a worldwide team of programmers: individuals,
companies, and universities using the Internet.  All source code is
available, allowing peer review -- which is important for an operating
system.

ACLUG would like to show you the benefits of Linux for home and
business use.  Feel free to attend one of our meetings or ask
questions about Linux at aclug-L@complete.org.

- --
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Visit the Air Capital Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org

- --
http://www.iki.fi/mjr/cola-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce@news.ornl.gov
This group is archived at http://www.iki.fi/mjr/linux/cola.html

------------------------------

From: hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu)
Subject: binutils 2.9.1.0.15 is released.
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:56:13 GMT

This is the public release of binutils 2.9.1.0.15 for Linux, which is
based on binutils 2.9.1 plus Linux/ARM support, some x86 assembler
changes, some PPC bug fixes, some alpha bug fixes and an exception
frame optimization bug fix.

Due to the exception frame optimization bug fix, it is highly
recommended that you recompile all your C++ codes. Otherwise,
exception handling may not work right when an exception is thrown.
According to Ian Lance Taylor  <ian@cygnus.com>, although the bug
is generic, it is not likely to occur on x86. But I don't have time
to confirm it.

This is intended to be the final public release for binutils 2.9.1.0.x
based on binutils 2.9.1 and the current 16-bit x86 assembler changes.
The future release will be based on the binutils snapshot, which has a
different approach for 16-bit x86 assembly code. Those changes should
not affect the correct x86 assembly codes, 16-bit and 32-bit.

Since I no longer have machine running libc 5, starting from this
release, there will be no pre-compiled binaries for libc 5.

There was some problem on Linux/alpha. The binaries generated by the
new binituls may not run correctly on Linux/alpha. It turned out it was
a bug in the alpha dynamic linker in glibc 2.0.6. The current glibc 2.1
and glibc 2.0.7 should be ok.

This release should work on linux/x86/alpha. There are some ELF bug
fixes. But I don't know if it fixes all the bugs reported on
linux/sparc, Linux/MIPS and linux/PPC. I'd like to hear reports on them.

Please report any bugs related to binutils 2.9.1.0.15 to hjl@lucon.org.

Changes from binutils 2.9.1.0.7:

1. Added AMD 3DNow! support.
2. An ELF bug fix for program header handling.
3. Add some vxworks suppport.
4. An ELF/alpha bug fix for creating large shared libraries.
5. Fix -Bsymbolic bugs for Linux/alpha.
6. An ELF/PPC bug fix.
7. Fix an exception frame optimization bug.
8. Fix a 16bit x86 gas bug.

Changes from binutils 2.9.1.0.4:

1. Fix various ARM bugs.
2. A MIPS assembler ".align" bug is fixed.
3. bfd.h, bfd.h and bfdlink.h are included in the binary package.
4. 2 x86 16bit mode assembler bugs, "ret" and "movb $35,0x4(%di)", are
   fixed.

Changes from binutils 2.8.1.0.23:

1. Update from binutils 2.9.1.
2. "push $4096" for x86 works now.
3. For x86, don't emit operand size prefix if there is no ambiguity.
4. Add "xlatb" for x86.
5. There are some major x86 assembler changes with operand size suffix.
   Some x86 assembler performence bugs are fixed. The Linux kernel and
   applications may run faster when assembled the new x86 assembler on
   x86. Please double check them on x86. gcc/egcs should be fine. But
   the Linux kernel does have some invalid x86 assembly code. In
   arch/i386/lib/locks.S, there was

        btl     %dl, SYMBOL_NAME(smp_invalidate_needed)

   It is not valid. The register should be either 16-bit or 32-bit.
   8-bit is not allowed. Previously, gas would silently turn

        call sys_call_table(,%eax,4)
   into
        call *sys_call_table(,%eax,4)

   Now, it is flagged as an error. There are asm codes like that in the
   Linux kernel. They should be fixed. If you have any x86 assembler
   problem, please let me know.
6. Fix the address for x86's lgdt/lidt.
7. An x86 assembler/disassembler bug related to popa/pusha is fixed.
8. Martynas Kunigelis <kunimart@pit.ktu.lt>'s 16-bit gas code was
   added.
9. Fix a Sparc/ELF bfd bug.
10. Some ARM/ELF gas changes.
11. An ELF linker bug which loads the incompatible needed shared library
   is fixed.

IMPORTANT:
The .plt format that the Alpha was using was not thread safe.  So I
changed it.  The new format is *not* binary compatible with the old,
thus you must use glibc 2.0.4 to get an ld.so that can understand it.

Note that the new ld.so knows how to deal with the old .plt format, so
old libraries will still work, but they should be relinked eventually
for performance reasons.

The file list:

1. binutils-2.9.1.0.15.tar.gz. Source code.
2. binutils-2.9.1-2.9.1.0.15.diff.gz. Patch against binutils 2.9.1.
3. binutils-2.9.1.0.7-2.9.1.0.15.diff.gz. Patch against binutils
   2.9.1.0.7.
4. binutils-2.9.1.0.15-glibc.x86.tar.gz. Precompiled Linux/x86 binaries
   for libc 6 (glibc 2.0.6 or above).
5. binutils-2.9.1.0.15-alpha.tar.gz. Precompiled Linux/alpha binaries
   for glibc 2.0.7 or above.

The primary ftp sites for the compiler/C library:

1. ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/GCC
2. ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/GCC

To install the binary package, please follow the procedure very closely.
Please backup/save all the files you are instructed to delete and you
should do

        gzip -dc binutils-2.9.1.0.15-glibc.x86.tar.gz | tar tvvf -
or
        gzip -dc binutils-2.9.1.0.15-alpha.tar.gz | tar tvvf -

to see what is in there.

Please do back up before you remove things.

To install for libc 6 (glibc 2.0.6 or above), PLEASE DO

1. su root
2. cd /
3. rm -f /usr/bin/encaps /usr/bin/nm
4. gzip -dc binutils-2.9.1.0.15-glibc.x86.tar.gz | tar xvvf -
5. ldconfig

Now you have the new gas/binutils under /usr/bin and
/usr/ix86-linuxaout/bin. You have to use

/usr/ix86-linuxaout/bin/as

and

/usr/ix86-linuxaout/bin/ld -m i386linux

if you want to use a.out as and ld directly.

To install for alpha, PLEASE DO

1. su root
2. cd /
3. gzip -dc binutils-2.9.1.0.15-alpha.tar.gz | tar xvvf -
4. ldconfig

I have changed the target names for Linux/x86 and Linux/x86 (a.out)
to ix86-linux and ix86-linuxaout respectively. The precompiled
binaries are installed under /usr/ix86-linux and /usr/ix86-linuxaout.
You should make appropriate symbolic links if you have a different
name for the Linux/x86 target, like i586-unknown-linux.

If you have an old linux library in the a.out format and you cannot
obtain the newer version in the ELF format for whatever reason, you
can try "objcopy --remove-leading-char" on the a.out library and see
if it can link with your code in ELF. For Sybase client libraries,
I did

# cd sybase/lib
# for f in *.a
do
  objcopy --remove-leading-char $f
done

It seems to compile/link fine with libc 5.4.2x. But I don't know
if it really works or not. The resulting binaries should work
if the libc ABI used by the old library is unchanged in the new
libc.

Thanks.

H.J. Lu
hjl@lucon.org
10/10/98

- --

From: Bjoern Buerger <b.buerger@tu-bs.de>
Subject: LOCAL: LUG Braunschweig -- next meeting
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:56:49 GMT

[note to english readers:
 This posting invites to the next meeting of our local
 Linux/Unix user group in Braunschweig, Germany.]

        [###  ---  L.U.G.  Braunschweig  ---  ###]

                 Die       /\_  o_)
                    LUG-BS )\  -/\
                         trifft /(
                               sich

                 am: 15. Oktober 1998
                 um: 19.00 Uhr
                 im: Seminarraum des
                     RZ-Braunschweig
                 (Raum 012)

         Thema:
         Einsatz von Linux in Echtzeitanwendungen
         Dipl. Ing. Jochen Bredemeyer wird uns
         neben einer technischen Einfuehrung in
         die Geheimnisse von "RT-Linux"
         auch den praktischen Einsatz von
         Linux-Pcs z.B. in der Flugmesstechnik
         erlaeutern.
         Anschliessend gemuetlicher Tratsch bei
         Kerzenschein :-))

         Eingeladen sind wie immer alle !
         Profis, User, Anfaenger und *noch*
         Windows-User. Wir freuen uns ueber jeden
         interessierten Besucher.

Eine Wegskizze zum RZ gibt es hier:
http://www.tu-bs.de/initiativen/LUG/wegbeschreibung.html

Weitere Informationen auf unserer Webseite:
http://www.tu-bs.de/initiativen/LUG/

Interesse an einer Linux-Installationsparty ?
http://www.tu-bs.de/initiativen/LUG/installparty.html

Ciao, Bjørn

- --
        o_)   Bjoern Buerger -  Student of electrical engineering
   .-. _/\    Technical  University  of  Braunschweig  /  Germany
- --/---\-/(/-- mail: b.buerger@tu-bs.de   http://bbs.home.pages.de
       `-'    PGP-Key  ID: 0xF4B3CF51 L: 1024  send PM: "GET KEY"

- --

From: "Timothy C. Wright" <wrightti@mail.msen.com>
Subject: LOCAL: Washtenaw LUG 10/15/98
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:04:48 GMT

------------------------------

From: Joe Orton <jeo101@york.ac.uk>
Subject: sitecopy 0.2 - easily manage remote web site via FTP
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:11:57 GMT

Release 0.2 brings:

        * File permissions handling - removes need to manually chmod
          remote files (e.g. for CGI scripts)
        * New command line option `-v' to list all site definitions in rcfile.
        * Optional ask-for-confirmation mode for updating site
        * Option to keep remote files when local files are deleted.
        * Option to move remote files when local files are moved.
        * Can specify multiple sites on command line.
        * Can specify location of rc file and storage dir on command line.
        * Misc. fixes: new directories created remotely in correct order,
          upload '.'s will be displayed at the right time (thanks to
          Karl Heinz Marbaise), comments allowed in rc file.

See the `README' file for more details on new and old features.

This release should be available soon via FTP from sunsite.unc.edu in
/pub/Linux/www/apps/misc, and is available now from:
http://www.orton.demon.co.uk/projects/

NB: For those who have used version 0.1, it is highly advisable to perform a
`sitecopy -u' using 0.1 on all the sites you have defined, then upgrade to 0.2
and perform a `sitecopy -c' on all sites. You have been warned.

Many thanks to all those who provided feedback and advice on version 0.1.
Please send me bug reports, feature requests or even patches if you're
feeling adventurous: <joe@orton.demon.co.uk>.

Joe Orton

Begin3
Title:          sitecopy
Version:        0.2.0
Entered-date:   12OCT98
                servers. The program will upload files to the server which
                have changed locally, and delete files from the server
                which have been removed locally, to keep the remote site
                synchronized with the local site, with a single command.
                The aim is to remove the hassle of uploading and deleting
                individual files using an FTP client.
Author:         joe@orton.demon.co.uk (Joe Orton)
Primary-site:   sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/apps/www/misc/
                26kb sitecopy-0.2.0.tar.gz
Platforms:      Linux (maybe others)
Copying-policy: GPL
End

- --
Joe Orton
jeo101@york.ac.uk ... joe@orton.demon.co.uk
http://www.orton.demon.co.uk/

- --
http://www.iki.fi/mjr/cola-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce@news.ornl.gov
This group is archived at http://www.iki.fi/mjr/linux/cola.html

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: Linux-Announce-Request@NEWS-DIGESTS.MIT.EDU

You can submit announcements to be moderated via:

    Internet: linux-announce@NEWS.ORNL.GOV

    ftp.funet.fi				pub/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux