List:       linux-announce
Subject:    Linux-Announce Digest #983
From:       Digestifier <Linux-Announce-Request () senator-bedfellow ! mit ! edu>
Date:       1998-04-11 19:13:30

Linux-Announce Digest #983, Volume #2            Sat, 11 Apr 98 19:13:30 EDT

Contents:
  bib-search-0.9.8 - a bibtex utility (Frederic Gobry)
  COMMERCIAL/LOCAL: Easter discounts at the Linux Software Store in Germany/Europe \
(ixsoft Softwareentwicklung- und vertrieb)  suck-3.9.2 - retreive news from a remote \
NNTP server (Dad)  Webmin version 0.42 - web based admin for Unix (Jamie Cameron)
  OMNeT++ Discrete Event Simulation System (Varga Andras)
  HummingBird 0.2.0 - A Distributed Intrusion Detection System (Jamie Marconi)

From: "Robert G. Brown" <bob@acm.org>
Subject: LOCAL: Meeting time changes for KLUG (Kalamazoo)
Date: Wed,  1 Apr 1998 10:45:56 GMT

Kalamazoo Linux Users Group -- Changes

Some time has passed since the last announcement has been released from our
group, and this notice serves to keep all of those interested up to date on
our activities.  A number of changes have taken place here regarding meeting
times, place, mailing list and web addresses, and it's worth reporting now...

New Meeting Time - Tuesday Evenings, at 6 PM. We are now meeting at Building
                   298 of the Pharmacia & Upjohn building complex.  This is
                   on the North-East corner of Portage Road and Bishop Street.

                   These Meetings are held EVERY WEEK.  There are two kinds of
                   meetings:

                   1. Monthly Business Meeting. This is a meeting where we
                      expect to take votes, and make decisions.  We will also
                      plan a good quality presentation or demonstration.

                      Our next Business meeting will be in late April (probably
                      21 April, but not yet decided for sure).

                   2. Weekly informal meetings, held on other Tuesday evenings.
                      We get together and talk about what's new, what each of
                      the members present are doing, and share experience. New
                      members are especially welcome to these meetings; we'll
                      be happy to work with anyone who attends. Bring your com-
                      puter and we'll install Linux for you!

                      As we develop projects, the meetings will also be time for
                      participants in the project to gather and discuss topics
                      related to the project at hand.

New Web Site -    Our new Website is ready for your visit at:
                                http://klug.armintl.com

                  That's right, not www dot anything.  You can find more details
                  there, information updates, and other good stuff!!

                  We've also just joined the Linux Users Group Webring, a
                  steadily growing ring of good sites that make good browsing
                  for anyone interested in networking with the emerging leaders
                  of the Linux user groups in their areas.

New Mailing list - Our New and growing mailing list is:

                               klug@klug.armintl.com
                  Join, read, particpate in our email discussions.

With all of these changes, we're becoming a new group, a more responsive
group, and more interesting for our broad audience, which ranges from novices
to professionals. We look forward to including YOU in our group as well!

- --
http://www.iki.fi/mjr/cola-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce@news.ornl.gov

------------------------------

From: gobry@bishorn.idiap.ch (Frederic Gobry)
Subject: bib-search-0.9.8 - a bibtex utility
Date: Wed,  1 Apr 1998 11:05:40 GMT

------------------------------

From: Ron Harwood <harwoodr@technologist.com>
Subject: LOCAL: Hamilton Linux Users Group meeting and Install-fest!
Date: Wed,  1 Apr 1998 10:55:10 GMT

------------------------------

From: ixsoft@finow.snafu.de (ixsoft Softwareentwicklung- und vertrieb)
Subject: COMMERCIAL/LOCAL: Easter discounts at the Linux Software Store in \
                Germany/Europe
Date: Wed,  1 Apr 1998 10:56:03 GMT

The following text announces a special Easter discount for some Linux
related products at the ixsoft Linux Store until April 11, 1998.
For further information and any questions, please have a look at our website
<http://www.ixsoft.de> or contact us directly under <mailto:info@ixsoft.de>.
Thank you !
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Die folgenden Oster-Sonderpreise gelten ab sofort bis 11.April 1998
im Linux Software Store von ixsoft <http://www.ixsoft.de/software>
NUR bei Bestellung über unsere Webseite oder per email !!!

[1] Caldera Open Linux 1.2 Standard US-Version, 3 CDROM+Handbuch,  399,-
    (Kernel 2.0.33, Adabas D, StarOffice, Looking Glass)
[2] ApplixWare 4.3.7, Original ohne Handbuch, 2 CD incl. RHL 5.0   138,-
[3] ApplixWare 4.3.7 Upgrade von 4.2 (!), 2 CD incl. RHL 5.0        25,-
[4] RedHat Linux 5.0 [Box] (x86/alpha), Handbuch + 2 CDROM          79,-
    incl. Kernel 2.0.32, Netscape 4.0.4, BRU-2000, Metro-X 4.1
[5] RedHat Linux 5.0 CD Bundle (x86/alpha), 2 CDROM                 65,-
    incl. Kernel 2.0.32, Netscape 4.0.4, BRU-2000, Metro-X 4.1
[6] RedHat Linux 5.0 300 S. Handbuch (englisch)                     19,-
[7] Maximum RPM - Das offizielle Handbuch ! 456 S, Hardcover        65,-

Alle Preise in DM incl. der gesetzlichen Mehrwertsteuer, zusätzlich
kommen noch Versandkosten (Selbstkosten) hinzu.

Bestellungen und weitere Angebote/Infos bei

                ixsoft  <http://www.ixsoft.de>
                Softwarentwicklung und
                -vertrieb Bernd Hentig
                Parkstr. 10
                16244 Finowfurt
                Fon     03335 325 320
                FAX     03335 32 331
                EMail   info@ixsoft.de
                        sales@ixsoft.de
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following Easter discount prices are valid from now until April 11,
1998 at the Linux Software Store <http://www.ixsoft.de/software> in
Germany when ordered with our web order form or via email.

All prices are in Deutschmarks and include German sales tax,
postage depends on country/speed of delivery.

[1] Caldera Open Linux 1.2 Standard US-Version, 3 CDROM+manual,   399,-
    (Kernel 2.0.33, Adabas D, StarOffice, Looking Glass)
[2] ApplixWare 4.3.7, without manual, 2 CD incl. RHL 5.0          138,-
[3] ApplixWare 4.3.7 upgrade from 4.2 (!), 2 CD incl. RHL 5.0      25,-
[4] RedHat Linux 5.0 [Box] (x86/alpha), manual + 2 CDROM           79,-
    incl. Kernel 2.0.32, Netscape 4.0.4, BRU-2000, Metro-X 4.1
[5] RedHat Linux 5.0 CD Bundle (x86/alpha), 2 CDROM                65,-
    incl. Kernel 2.0.32, Netscape 4.0.4, BRU-2000, Metro-X 4.1
[6] RedHat Linux 5.0 original manual, 300 pages                    19,-
[7] Maximum RPM - the official manual, 456 pages, hardcover        65,-

Sorry, prices in "Euro" will not be available sooner than Jan 1, 1999.
For further information or direct order, please contact us:

                ixsoft <http://www.ixsoft.de>
                Softwarentwicklung und
                -vertrieb Bernd Hentig
                Parkstr. 10
                16244 Finowfurt
                Fon     03335 325 320
                FAX     03335 32 331
                EMail   info@ixsoft.de
                        sales@ixsoft.de
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- --
      | ixsoft Softwareentwicklung | email: ixsoft@ixsoft.de             |
      | und -vertrieb Bernd Hentig | www: http://www.ixsoft.de           |
      |Parkstr. 10  16244 Finowfurt| Fon: ++49 3335 3233 0               |
      |         Germany            | FAX: ++49 3335 3233 1               |

- --

From: Dad <bobyetman@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: suck-3.9.2 - retreive news from a remote NNTP server
Date: Wed,  1 Apr 1998 10:45:19 GMT

This is to announce the release of suck-3.9.2.

PREFACE
=======
Original Author - Tim Smith (address unknown)
Maintainers -
March 1995 - Sven Goldt (address unknown)
July 1995  - Robert A. Yetman (bobyetman@worldnet.att.net)

Current Maintainer - bobyetman@worldnet.att.net
Spanish Docs - Simon Mudd (sjmudd@redestb.es)
               Abraham Nevado (nevado@redestb.es)

LOCATION
========
IMPORTANT ***************************************************
As of version 3.9.2, I have changed my ISP.  My new e-mail
address is bobyetman@worldnet.att.net.  Please use that
address now.

My new homepage is http://home.att.net/~bobyetman/index.html

visit http://home.att.net/~bobyetman/index.html
to download the latest version or view the README file.

FTP Sites:
Site1        = sunsite.unc.edu
Path1        = /pub/Linux/system/news/transport
File1        = suck-3.9.2.tar.gz

Site2        = tsx-11.mit.edu
Path2        = /pub/linux/sources/sbin
File2        = suck-3.9.2.tar.gz

INTRODUCTION
============
The primary use for suck is to feed a local NNTP server, without the
remote NNTP feeding you articles.  It is designed for a small, partial
news feed.  It is NOT designed to feed 10,000 groups and 3 Gigs of articles
a day.

This package contains software for copying news from an NNTP server to your
local machine, and copying replies back up to an NNTP server.  It works
with most standard NNTP servers, including INN, CNEWS, DNEWS, and typhoon.

The suck/rpost combination allows you to run your own  site,
controlling where you get your news, and where you post outgoing articles.
Suck/rpost use only standard NNTP commands that are used by your favorite
news reader (tin, xvnews, strn) such as POST and ARTICLE.  If you can use tin
or xvnews against a NNTP site, than you can use Suck/Rpost.

suck                    Pull a small newsfeed from an NNTP server

lpost                   Gives one article fetched by suck to the local server.

rpost                   Posts article(s) to a remote NNTP server

testhost                Check to see what commands your host recognizes or
                        get the active or new list.

lmove * NEW *           put articles in news/group/number format.

NOTE!
* Due to various reason, the document maintainers for the foreign language
man pages can no longer keep the documents up to date.  This will be the
last release with any foreign language documents, unless new maintainers
are found.  Only the Spanish man pages are contained, since the Japanese
Document maintainer didn't have the time.

I want to thank the maintainers for their time and efforts.

MAJOR CHANGES FROM 3.9.1 -> 3.9.2

* Bug fix on the variable type for MsgNrs.  Previously they were ints, now
they are longs to handle MsgNrs such as 111222

* Fixed various bugs in the killfile code, to include - on TimeOut abort
instead of keep going and if using regex() and QUOTECHAR, it might not
have worked.

* If using re-connect fixed so that the buffer gets flushed on close,
and when we reconnect, we start with the right group number.

* In killfile code, some internal code changes, specifically in the search
mechanism for non-regex strings.  Before we were using a brute-force
algorithm, now we are using a smarter search, which should speed things up.
Also re-wrote the way I handle the case-sensitive test and the QUOTE char.

* In killfile code, added the ability to designate a string as a non-regex
string.  This is so that if you have a string like "$$$$$ MONEY $$$$", you
can tell suck to treat it as non-regex, where suck would think its a
regex (cause of the $).   See man page for details.  To go along with this,
I added the NON_REGEX= param to killfiles, to designate the character which
tells us we are non-regex.

* added -O --skip_on_restart option.  This option tells suck to skip the
first article upon restart, useful when your remote NNTP server keeps timing
out on a particular article.

* added -LF --kill_log_name option.  This option lets you override the built
in default of "suck.killlog" for the killfile log.

MAILING LIST!
with the message text reading "subscribe suck-ml"

bobyetman@worldnet.att.net (Robert A. Yetman)

- --

From: Jamie Cameron <jcameron@webmin.com>
Subject: Webmin version 0.42 - web based admin for Unix
Date: Wed,  1 Apr 1998 11:04:48 GMT

------------------------------

From: Varga Andras <vandras@sch.bme.hu>
Subject: OMNeT++ Discrete Event Simulation System
Date: Wed,  1 Apr 1998 11:06:15 GMT

Announcing OMNeT++ 3.0
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OMNeT++ is an object-oriented modular discrete event simulator. The simulator
can be used for modelling:
 o communication protocols
 o computer networks (traffic modelling etc.)
 o multi-processors and distributed systems
 o ... any other system where the discrete event approach is suitable

OMNeT++ Home Page: http://www.hit.bme.hu/phd/vargaa/omnetpp.htm

Components and features
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OMNeT++ provides much more than just the simulation library with statistical
classes. It has execution environments that support interactive simulation
including visualization of collected data. There's a gnuplot-based GUI tool
for analysing and plotting simulation results. OMNeT++ also helps in
specifying parameter values, managing multiple runs, selecting seed values
etc, and supports parallel execution (PVM3-based).

Modelling principles -- in nutshell
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An OMNeT++ model consists of modules that communicate with message passing.

There are two kind of modules: simple and compound. Simple modules can be
grouped into compound modules and so forth; the number of hierarchy levels
is not limited. The notion of simple and compound modules directly parallel
with DEVS atomic and coupled models. There is a separate topology description
language for defining compound module types. The language has a simple
syntax, yet it is very powerful: for example, it is possible to define
a hypercube network with the size as parameter. A graphical topology
editor is also available.

Simple modules are the active components in the model; their code executes
quasi in parallel (they are implemented with lightweight processes or
coroutines.) Simple module code is written in C++, using the simulation
class library. Messages can contain arbitrarily complex data structures.
Messages can be sent either directly to their destination or through a gate
(to the destination given in the topology description.)

Platforms:
~~~~~~~~~~
Unix, Win95/NT, DOS (with DJGPP or BC3.1).
Additional recommended/optional sw: gcc, bison, Tcl/Tk (Tcl7.6/Tk4.2 or later),
gnuplot, Turbo Vision, PVM3.

The program is available in source.

License:
~~~~~~~~
Free for non-profit use; otherwise, contact the author.

Author:
~~~~~~~
Andras Varga
Dept. of Telecommunications
Technical University of Budapest

- --

From: Jamie Marconi <marc9442@uidaho.edu>
Subject: HummingBird 0.2.0 - A Distributed Intrusion Detection System
Date: Wed,  1 Apr 1998 10:58:41 GMT

                        Announcing the Release of
                            HummingBird 0.2.0

                             March 27, 1998

We are pleased to announce the alpha release of HummingBird, version 0.2.0.
HummingBird is still in a fairly early stage of development, but we are
looking to expand the number of users, testers, and developers.

What is HummingBird?
- -------------------------------------

HummingBird is a distributed component for any Intrusion Detection
System. Its intent is to share security information with any networked host.
Activity logs are gathered into a common format and forwarded to other hosts
or are stored in a powerful SQL database locally.  Logs can be transformed
into graphical plots of activity. HummingBird facilitates the detection of
light but network-wide attacks, and keeps historical data of system
status. Hummers can be organized in a hierarchy for better management and
information flow. They can also be organized as groups of equal peers. A Java
interface is supplied for alert messages.  The configuration of a Hummer
is performed through a collection of web pages, and CGIs.

*Long Description/Motivation*

The trend towards a strong interdependence among networks have serious
security implications. Not only does the compromise of one network adversely
affect resources needed by others, but the compromised network may be part of
a multi-network attack targeting other systems.  The task of identifying such
attacks in progress can be quite difficult.  Researchers have found that data
sharing is needed to detect many systemic attacks involving multiple hosts
even within a single network.  Systems such as DIDS and EMERALD have been
developed to gather and analyze such data network and enterprise-wide,
respectively. However, neither system addresses data sharing between networks
that lack central administration.  HummingBird identifies some of the issues
that need to be addressed if cooperative intrusion detection using data
sharing between distinct sites is to become a viable option, and provides a
set of requirements for designing such a system. A formal model meeting these
requirements has been developed, and a subset of the model has been
implemented as a functional cooperative data sharing system. This is
HummingBird.

Where can I obtain HummingBird?
- -------------------------------------

The HummingBird Web page (http://www.cs.uidaho.edu/~hummer) contains all
relevant information about the system.

The source package for HummingBird version 0.2.0 is available at:
http://www.cs.uidaho.edu/~hummer/releases/hum-A-0.2.0.tar.gz

A daily snapshot of the development tree is available at:
http://www.cs.uidaho.edu/~hummer/releases/hum-A-snap.tar.gz

Why should I use HummingBird?
- -------------------------------------

If you are a system administer running several UNIX based computer systems
and you would like to have a centralized and filtered log collection
process.

or

If you are a running a single UNIX box and would like to keep track of your
system logs, and would also like to see a graphical representation of the
data.

or

If you're interested in maintaining a communication network of security
relevant activity about your computer systems with other networks of
computers.

or

If you're worried about large or small scale attacks on several your hosts
simultaneously.

or

Security detection that we haven't thought about.

What platforms are supported?
- -------------------------------------

Platforms that have reported running HummingBird are:

FreeBSD 2.x; Pentium
HPUX 9.x, 10.x; HPPA
Linux 2.x, Slackware 2.x, 3.x, RedHat 4.0, 5.0; i486
Solaris 2.5, 2.5.1; Sparc, i386

What do I need to run HummingBird?
- -------------------------------------

HummingBird uses several software systems at compile time and at run time.
The following are a list of those software:

- - GNU C++ 2.7.x - ftp:/prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu
- - Perl 5.x - http://language.perl.com/CPAN/src/latest.tar.gz
- - JDK 1.1 - http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.1/index.html
- - PostgreSQL ODBMS - ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql-6.3.1.tar.gz
- - CGI.pm - http://www.genome.wi.mit.edu/ftp/pub/software/WWW/
- - GD.pm - http://www.genome.wi.mit.edu/ftp/distribution/software/WWW/GD.html
- - Netscape Navigator - http://www.netscape.com

Changes since last release:
- -------------------------------------

HummingBird Visualization Tool
HummingBird Peer Groups
Re-organization of the configuration web pages.
Hummer Kill File
Integrity, and Cooperation Levels

Know Problems:
- -------------------------------------

The active list of problems or bugs can be found at:

http://www.cs.uidaho.edu/~hummer/html/bugs.html

- -------------------------------------

We are looking forward to advancing the HummingBird System through new users,
and their help with development of the product.

Thanks for your support,

The HummingBird Team

- --
http://www.iki.fi/mjr/cola-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce@news.ornl.gov

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: Linux-Announce-Request@NEWS-DIGESTS.MIT.EDU

You can submit announcements to be moderated via:

    Internet: linux-announce@NEWS.ORNL.GOV

    ftp.funet.fi				pub/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux