List:       linux-announce
Subject:    Linux-Announce Digest #973
From:       Digestifier <Linux-Announce-Request () senator-bedfellow ! mit ! edu>
Date:       1998-04-01 3:13:18

Linux-Announce Digest #973, Volume #2             Wed, 1 Apr 98 03:13:18 EST

Contents:
  Yalsim: Yet Another Logic/Timing Simulator (Ken Martin)
  MikMod mod player for Unix/Linux version 3.0.3 (Peter Amstutz)
  mtr v0.15 - network diagnostic tool (Matt Kimball)
  Xgfe: X11 GUI for Gnuplot v 1.3 released (dmi1@Ra.MsState.Edu)
  Announcing the new Java-Linux Porting Project home (J. Daniel Powell)
  Announcement of COBF - the Freeware C/C++ Sourcecode Obfuscator! ("Bernhard Baier")
  PinfoMan PIM Project (Lawrence Sim)
  SimpleMirror 1.1 beta 1 - simple ftp mirroring utility (Martin Preishuber)
  Linbot 0.4 Site Management Tool for Webmasters (marduk)
  NetStreamer 0.13 - Stream audio 8 or 16 kHz (Rolf Fokkens)
  COMMERCIAL: O'Reilly Books & 99Cent Linux!! (LSL Information)

From: martin@isis.eecg.toronto.edu (Ken Martin)
Subject: Yalsim: Yet Another Logic/Timing Simulator
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:38:34 GMT

------------------------------

From: Peter Amstutz <amstpi@freenet.tlh.fl.us>
Subject: MikMod mod player for Unix/Linux version 3.0.3
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:37:16 GMT

MikMod 3.0.3 is out, check out
http://www.freenet.tlh.fl.us/~amstpi/mikmod.html to get it.  Biggest
change in this release is that the license is now completely free, there
is no charge for commercial use.  This is not GPL, this is "here is the
code with no strings attached, if it breaks you get to keep both pieces"
I hope everyone who has contributed to MikMod over these months and years
doesn't mind.  I also hacked a "stdout" driver that sends data to stdout.

Begin3
Title: MikMod for Linux
Version: 3.0.3
Entered-date:
Author: Original code by Jean-Paul Mikkers (mikmak@via.nl)
Author: Lots of additional stuff (Impulse Tracker support! W00 H00!) by
Author: Jake Stine (dracoirs@epix.net)
Author: This distribution put together and maintained by Peter Amstutz
Author:     (amstpi@freenet.tlh.fl.us)
Maintained-by: Peter Amstutz (amstpi@freenet.tlh.fl.us) for
Maintained-by: Unix/Linux-specific stuff
Maintained-by: or Jake Stine (dracoirs@epix.net) for just about anything
Maintained-by: else :)  Don't mail MikMak...
Maintained-by: He hasn't had anything to do with this code for quite a while :)
Primary-site: ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/sound/players/
Alternate-site: none
Platforms: Linux/FreeBSD and other unices.  There are drivers for AF, AIX,
Platforms: HP-UX, SGI and Sun workstations, with SGI and SUN tested with
Platforms: this version...
Copying-policy: Free, no strings attached
End

Peter Amstutz

/*
E-mail:
        amstpi@freenet.tlh.fl.us
Home Page:
        http://www.freenet.tlh.fl.us/~amstpi/
Geek Code: (see http://www.geekcode.com/ for decoding instructions)
  GCS d- s:+ a--- C++>$ UL++++>$ P+(++) L++>$ E W++ N+ !o K w-- !O M-() !V
  PS+(++) PE-(--) Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R tv b+ DI+ D++ G e h
*/

- --
http://www.iki.fi/mjr/cola-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce@news.ornl.gov

------------------------------

From: Matt Kimball <mkimball@xmission.com>
Subject: mtr v0.15 - network diagnostic tool
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:30:42 GMT

WHAT IS MTR?

  mtr combines the functionaly of the 'traceroute' and 'ping' programs
  in a single network diagnostic tool.

  As mtr starts, it investigates the network connection between the host
  mtr runs on and a user-specified destination host.  After it
  determines the address of each network hop between the machines,
  it sends a sequence ICMP ECHO requests to each one to determine the
  quality of the link to each machine.  As it does this, it prints
  running statistics about each machine.

  mtr is distributed under the GNU General Public License.

WHAT'S NEW?

  v0.15
        Both the build process and the networking code have
        been cleaned up and reorganized.  mtr now builds
        cleanly with GTK+ 0.99.8.

  v0.14
        Fixed mtr so that it will build with GTK+ 0.99.3 and
        cleaned up a few portability issues.

WHERE CAN I GET THE LATEST VERSION OR MORE INFORMATION?

  See the mtr web page at 'http://www.mkimball.org/mtr.html'.

  Subscribe to the mtr mailing list.  All mtr related announcements
  are posted to the mtr mailing list.  To subscribe, send email to
  'majordomo@lists.xmission.com' with 'subscribe mtr' in the body of
  the message.  To send a message to the mailing list, mail to
  'mtr@lists.xmission.com'.

  Bug reports and feature requests should be sent to the mtr
  mailing list.

- ----------

The lsm for mtr follows:

Begin3
Title:          mtr
Version:        0.15
Entered-date:   21MAR98
Author:         mkimball@xmission.com  (Matt Kimball)
Maintained-by:  mkimball@xmission.com  (Matt Kimball)
Primary-site:   sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/system/network/management
                39Kb mtr-0.15.tar.gz
Alternate-site: http://www.mkimball.org/mtr-0.15.tar.gz
Platforms:      curses or GTK+
Copying-policy: GPL
End

- --
Matt Kimball
mkimball@xmission.com

- --

From: dmi1@Ra.MsState.Edu
Subject: Xgfe: X11 GUI for Gnuplot v 1.3 released
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:46:47 GMT

- --

From: dan@b010h102.rh.ncsu.edu (J. Daniel Powell)
Subject: Announcing the new Java-Linux Porting Project home
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 17:02:32 GMT

The Java-Linux Porting Project home has moved to http://java-linux.org .
It is fully updated for experts and beginners alike with information on:

        + all JDK ports to Linux on i386, alpha, powerpc and sparc
          architectures,

        + Java JIT's, IDE's, and other Java development tools for Linux,

        + Java-Linux related mailing lists,

        + Online and offline Java books and tutorials,

        + Javasoft product's on running Linux like JavaServer,
          Java Workshop, and HotJava,

By re-establishing Java-Linux as the definitive resource for running
Java and Java related products on Linux, we intend to help propel Linux
into becoming a viable operating system for all computer users.

We have also updated our FTP servers with:

        + all known JDK ports to Linux,

        + jdk diffs,

        + patches to run Javasoft products on Linux,

        + documentation,

        + JIT's, IDE's, decompilers, and other development tools,

        + JDBC drivers,

        + various Java packages,

        + and more.

I'd like to thank Karl Asha at Blackdown for maintaining the Java-Linux
page at blackdown.org and countless Java-Linux users
for helping Dan and I update the web pages and FTP tree.

The current JDK ports to Linux are as follows:

i386    jdk1.1.5-v5, by Steve Byrne (for glibc and libc)
        jdk1.1.5-v1.2, by Sergey Nikitin (for glibc only)

alpha   jdk1.1.5-v6, by Uncle George

ppc     jdk1.1.4-v1, by Kevin Buettner, Scott Hutinger, Brian Keller,
                     and Kevin Hendricks.

sparc   jdk1.1.2 (with 1.1.5 to be release in days), by Johan Vos

If you have any questions or comments you can email rich@java-linux.org
about the web pages and dan@java-linux.org about the ftp services.

- --
                        J. Daniel Powell
                        dan@java-linux.org

- --

From: "Bernhard Baier" <bernhard.baier@ibm.net>
Subject: Announcement of COBF - the Freeware C/C++ Sourcecode Obfuscator!
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 17:00:49 GMT

------------------------------

From: Lawrence Sim <wanderer@tne.net.au>
Subject: PinfoMan PIM Project
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 17:04:22 GMT

------------------------------

From: Martin Preishuber <Martin.Preishuber@stuco.uni-klu.ac.at>
Subject: SimpleMirror 1.1 beta 1 - simple ftp mirroring utility
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:58:50 GMT

------------------------------

From: marduk@gte.net (marduk)
Subject: Linbot 0.4 Site Management Tool for Webmasters
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 17:12:25 GMT

My apologies for getting 0.4 out so late.

Linbot is a Site Management Tool for webmasters.  Downloads and more
information at:

            http://home1.gte.net/marduk/linbot/index.html

Linbot allows webmasters to:

* View The Structure Of A Site
* Track Down Broken Links
* Find Potentially Outdated Web Pages
* List Links Pointing To External Sites
* View Portfolio Of Inline Images
* Do All This Periodically And Without User Attention

Changes to v. 0.4 include:

* Grabs "author" of HTML pages from the "<META>" tag.
* New "No Titles" page lists HTML pages with no <TITLE>.
* New "Problems" page lists problem links sorted by author.
* Proxy support via config file.
* Adds http header 'User-agent: Linbot <version>' when talking to http
  server.
* Properly identifies text/html using various character sets (I hope).
* Navigation bar can now support images via config file.
* Bug fixes.
* and more!

Linbot is a FREE clone of Linkbot
(http://tetranetsoftware.com/linkbot-info.htm) and plans to incorporate
many of Linkbot's features as well as enhancements of its own.

Also, Linbot is available at sunsite.unc.edu for you Linuxers out there.
- --
<SIGNATURE>
<NAME>marduk</NAME>  <HOME HREF="http://home1.gte.net/marduk/index.html" />
</SIGNATURE>

- --

From: Rolf Fokkens <rolf@flits102-126.flits.rug.nl>
Subject: NetStreamer 0.13 - Stream audio 8 or 16 kHz
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 09:03:11 GMT

------------------------------

From: LSL Information <info@lsl.com>
Subject: COMMERCIAL: O'Reilly Books & 99Cent Linux!!
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 09:06:27 GMT

                         O'Reilly 25% Discount

                                AND

            a selected Linux Distribyution for just 99cents!

LSL, the established Leader in Linux publications and high quality low-cost
Linux products, announce the "LSL O'Reilly Linux Package" to mark the
release of their new "Linux Device Drivers Book"

In addition to the 25% discount on all O'Reilly publications, you can
purchase a complete Linux distribution + Netscape for an extra 99cents.
99Cents? Yes, with every O'Reilly purchase you can get another great
product - Linux - for an extra 99cents!

Full details can be obtained from our Web Site on http://www.lsl.com or by
replying to this email.

This package is only available for a limited time, and there has never been
a better time to match these great publications with the best Operating
System around.

LSL - Breaking the Price Barrier:        W H Y   P A Y   M O R E ???

LSL,
250 Huron ave.
Port Huron MI 48060, USA
Tel:(810) 987-8807 Fax: (810) 987-3562    info@lsl.com

- --
LSL,                                      LSL - Breaking the Price Barrier!
250 Huron ave.                            http://www.lsl.com
Port Huron MI 48060, USA                  W H Y   P A Y   M O R E ???
Tel:(810) 987-8807 Fax: (810) 987-3562    info@lsl.com

- --
http://www.iki.fi/mjr/cola-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce@news.ornl.gov

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: Linux-Announce-Request@NEWS-DIGESTS.MIT.EDU

You can submit announcements to be moderated via:

    Internet: linux-announce@NEWS.ORNL.GOV

    ftp.funet.fi				pub/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux