List:       linux-announce
Subject:    Linux-Announce Digest #56
From:       Digestifier <Linux-Announce-Request () senator-bedfellow ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2001-12-26 9:13:02

Linux-Announce Digest #56, Volume #4           Wed, 26 Dec 2001 09:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Announcing 'digfe' - a free, GUI 'front end' for the dns client program 'dig'. \
("Jimmy D. Burrell")  IBM Announces Linux Test Drive ("Stacy Simpson")
  [nagpur-linux] [LIG] All LUG Co-ordinators (fwd) (Frederick Noronha)
  Linux:noteedit:multi rests, doub. wh. notes (Joerg Anders)
  white_dune-0.18 has been released (Joerg Scheurich aka MUFTI)
  digfe-0.7.3 is available ("Jimmy D . Burrell")
  GrammaTech releases Ada-ASSURED and Ada-Utilities for Linux (Kirk Macolini)
  Port41 CONTENjecT Publisher For FREE !!  2448 (kunga@another.com)
  INDIA: Linux monthly meet at Goa, Dec 22 (Frederick Noronha)
  Pakistan Linux Users' Community (PLUC) (Fawad Halim)
  WWW: Mstation update (John Littler)

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 07:22:18 CST
From: "Jimmy D. Burrell" <jburrell@concoctedlogic.com>
Subject: Announcing 'digfe' - a free, GUI 'front end' for the dns client program \
'dig'.

Announcing 'digfe' - a free, GUI 'front end' for the dns client program
'dig'...

Downloads and screenshots can be found at
http://www.concoctedlogic.com/digfe

digfe was developed on Linux using Visual TCL 1.5.2 and should,
therefore, run under any OS that supports tcl/tk including all versions
of Linux/Unix, Windows,NT, 2000, etc. You do not need 'Visual Tcl' to
run 'digfe' but you do need tcl/tk or, at a minimum, the tcl/tk
interpreter, a.k.a. 'wish'.

Enjoy...

# Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: cola@stump.algebra.com #
# PLEASE remember a short description of the software and the LOCATION.  #
# This group is archived at http://stump.algebra.com/~cola/              #

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 07:22:18 CST
Subject: IBM Announces Linux Test Drive
From: "Stacy Simpson" <stacysim@us.ibm.com>

IBM Initiative Pushes Linux for Small and Medium Business

ARMONK, N.Y., Dec. 18, 2001 ... IBM today announced an initiative to
accelerate the adoption of Linux among small and medium business (SMB).

To speed the development of Linux applications that address the unique
needs of small and medium business, IBM introduced the Linux Test Drive for
eServer iSeries, which makes available over the Internet a "virtual Linux
server" to help independent software vendors and the open source community
write and port their applications to Linux on iSeries.

The eServer iSeries uses advanced "partitioning" technology that allows a
single physical server to be divided into dozens of virtual servers that
can be accessed remotely by software developers around the world.

IBM believes the combination of Linux, the fast-growing server operating
system, and IBM eServer iSeries, with its popularity among SMB customers,
can help small business consolidate dozens of standalone servers on a
single, easy-to-manage, mainframe-class server, reducing cost and
complexity.  To date, more than 200,000 customers around the world, many of
them mid-sized companies, run their businesses on IBM eServer iSeries,
choosing it for its security, reliability and low total cost of ownership.

According to IDC, small businesses represent 48 percent of all Linux server
installations.  Industry analysts also estimate that small and medium size
business (up to 1,000 employees) will represent more than 50 percent of the
total server market worldwide by 2004.

"The Linux Test Drive illustrates IBM's commitment  to the development of
Linux applications that solve real business issues for small to mid-size
customers," said Kim Stevenson, vice president, IBM eServer iSeries.  "The
key to Linux adoption among small and medium-sized businesses is offering
ISVs a fast, convenient way to develop for this important market segment."

H.A. Technical Solutions LLC, a provider of high availability clustering
and data replication software, recently ported two of its applications to
Linux on eServer iSeries.  "The process of moving Unix and Java
applications to Linux on eServer iSeries proved remarkably easy," said
LeRoy D. Earl, executive vice president, H.A. Technical Solutions.  "We
simply installed the software and it ran perfectly."

Software providers can get more information and enroll at the Linux Test
Drive site at www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/developer/factory/testdrive.
Participants can select from SuSE or Turbolinux distributions of Linux, and
can choose between 14-day free access or 30-day access for a nominal fee.
The recently announced Red Hat Linux distribution will be supported on the
Test Drive server in January.

IBM eServer iSeries offers mid-sized customers mainframe-class reliability
and security.  A single iSeries server can support up to 31 separate Linux
partitions, allowing businesses reduce cost and complexity by consolidating
multiple workloads onto a single, easy-to-manage server.  Earlier this
year, IBM eServer iSeries was named "Best of Show" at the LinuxWorld
Conference & Expo in San Francisco.

The Linux Test Drive joins a comprehensive set of Linux software and
hardware offerings for SMB.  The Small Business Suite for Linux includes
DB2 Universal Database, WebSphere Application Server and Lotus Domino.  The
Suite is bundled to deliver all the tools necessary to help customers with
messaging and collaboration, productivity, Web site creation and design,
and data management.

The Linux Test Drive builds on the success of Linux and the IBM eServer
z900 mainframe in large enterprises.  The Linux Community Development
System, a program announced earlier this year, provides developers access
to their own virtual mainframe running Linux, helping them build new
enterprise applications that enable customers to consolidate their
distributed servers on a single IBM zSeries mainframe.

About IBM
IBM is the number one server company in the world, offering a full line of
data transaction, Web application and appliance servers that embrace
industry standards.  Powered by breakthroughs such as microprocessors with
copper wiring and Silicon-on-Insulator technology, IBM servers have
captured industry leading benchmarks that measure transactions, Web serving
capabilities and performance in software applications.  The IBM eServer
line is an integral part of customized, flexible and scalable Internet
solutions for companies of all sizes.  IBM supports Linux on its entire
portfolio of e-business servers.

Through its Small and Medium Business organization, IBM offers a host of
cross-industry and industry-specific solutions designed to meet the needs
of growing companies and help them leverage the potential of the Internet
and network computing.

IBM news releases and fact sheets are available at http://www.ibm.com.
Information about IBM eServer iSeries is available at
http:www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries.
Information about IBM solutions for Linux is available at
http://www.ibm.com/linux.
Information on IBM Small and Medium Business is available at
http:/www.ibm.com/smallbusiness.

The IBM eServer brand consists of the established IBM e-business logo with
the descriptive term "`server"' following it.  The IBM e-business logo and
iSeries are trademarks or registered trademarks of the IBM Corporation.

Linux is registered trademark of Linus Torvalds.

All others are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective
companies.

Stacy Simpson
Media Relations
IBM Corporation
Route 100, Somers, NY  10589
Ph: 914-766-4123 (t/l: 826-4123)
E: stacysim@us.ibm.com

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 07:22:25 CST
From: Frederick Noronha <fred@bytesforall.org>
Subject: [nagpur-linux] [LIG] All LUG Co-ordinators (fwd)

GNU/Linux enthusiasts across this country of 1000 million are attempting
to build networks links across the country. Please see Parag Mehta's note
below, and respond to pm@gnuos.org
Frederick Noronha.

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 07:22:31 CST
From: j.anders@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de (Joerg Anders)
Subject: Linux:noteedit:multi rests, doub. wh. notes

noteedit-1.16.0 is available:

  http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html

New features:
=============

   1.) multi (measure) rests
   2.) double whole notes
   3.) Combine groups of equal and tied chords
   4.) all parameters given by rulers can alternatively be given by numbers
   5.) PMX export with staff selection
   6.) PMX export with keep beams option
   7.) (only) tse3-0.1.2 compatible
   8.) "--noalsa" and "--nooss" option
   9.) (hopfully) more intelligent MIDI --> Score algorithm
  10.) (hopfully) better selection in case of placing restriction conflicts
  11.) Bugs fixed; among them:
        - Lyrics '-' to '~' exchange problem
        - crash if the MIDI file to be imported doesn't exist
        - bad direction in case of "change clef" with octave shift

Aspects/Problems concerning the new features

1.) multi (measure) rests

Some restrictions apply to multi rests in MUP and PMX:

* MUP: a multi rest must appear in every staff and it must be
       of the same length. If this isn't the case Noteedit
       divides the multi rest in a sequence of "normal" rests.
That means: If Noteedit restores such a score the multi rest
==========  is changed against a series of "normal" rests.
            Noteedit will warn you in this case.
* PMX: PMX dosn't accept multi rests if the score has more than one line.

2.) double whole notes

Although the double whole note is called "breve" in (almost) all music
typesetters (except PMX, here it is called '9') the representation differs:

    * In MUP and LilyPond it looks like a whole note with 2 additional lines.
    * In MusiXTeX and PMX it is a small rectangle:
and
    * MusiXTeX offers the whole note with 2 additional lines, too.

To unify the representation I decided for the whole note with 2 additional
lines.

   ( Let me know whether this conflicts with some musical)
   ( orthography, my knowledge ends here.                )

This can be exported to MusiXTeX, MUP and LilyPond. Thus, only PMX shows
the small rectangle.

3.) Combine groups of equal and tied chords

This is especially useful after application of the auto bar function.
Somtimes the auto bar fuction produces sequences of equal and
completely tied chords. The combine notes functions tries to
collect them as far as this is possible.

5.) PMX export with staff selection

Because PMX offers a tool "scor2prt" I thought a staff selection isn't
necessary. But I got reports that some users delete N - 1 staffs from
score before PMX exportation to get the only interesting staff.

With PMX export with staff selection this souldn't be necessary any
longer.

6.) PMX export with keep beams option

The automatic PMX generation causes a problem:

  - To ensure correct placement of beams the note
    with lowest distance from beam must appear first in text.

On the other hand:
  - PMX determins the direction of the beam: up or down.

So, Noteedit has no idea what is the note in chord with lowest distance
from beam. If this causes beam problems (beams crossing stems) the keep
beams button could be helpful. In this case Noteedit places beam direction
statements into PMX source and thus, it has enough information to
determine the suitable order of notes.

8.) "--noalsa" and "--nooss" option

I got reports that the whole Linux stops if the users starts
Noteedit using ALSA MIDI scheduler. Reset is necessary.

Note! It is impossible that a program which runs in user
space stops Linux (except swap overflow). Even if the program has
tons of bugs. It has to do with your ALSA module parameters and/or
IRQ/IO - BIOS/PNP parameters. Contact the ALSA developers!
As an interim solution you can start Noteedit without creating
an ALSA MIDI scheduler:

         noteedit --noalsa

Note! Noteedit uses the so-called ALSA-OSS emulation in this case.
The ALSA-OSS emulation doesn't permit the read direction.
Thus, read and record from MIDI keyboard isn't possible.

Another alternative would be: Remove ALSA and use the pre-ALSA sound modules!

9.) (hopfully) more intelligent MIDI --> Score algorithm

I changed somthing and built the score of Beethoven's
5th symphonie once again. It seems to be better.(?)
(see http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html)

10.) (hopfully) better selection in case of placing restriction conflicts

Noteedit has some placing restictions for volume signature, tempo signature
and program (instrument) change. Although these symbols can be placed
everywhere, they cannot be written at every arbitary position
in MUP file (due to MUP syntax). So, Noteedit omits some badly
placed symbols. I tried to make this selection algoritm more
intelligent.(?)

Or: Perhaps it wasn't a bad idea to use MUP as file format.(?) I thoungt
if MUP is an already existing music typesetter, they regarded all
possible cases and I'll never fall into trouble. But with implementing
more and more features I found more and more MUP restrictions
(drum notes, multi rests, voice count, volume-, tempo-, program- sign
placement, ...) --> Don't know. Perhaps I'll switch over to XML.(?)

--
J.Anders, Chemnitz, GERMANY (ja@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 07:22:32 CST
Subject: white_dune-0.18 has been released
From: Joerg Scheurich aka MUFTI <rusmufti@helpdesk.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>

White_dune-0.18 has been released.

http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/vrml/dune/

It is a graphical VRML97 Editor and animation tool in development.

Details:

 Dune can read VRML97 files, display and let the user change the
 scenegraph/fields.

 VRML97 (Virtual Reality Modelling Language) is the ISO standard for
 displaying 3D data over the web via browserplugins.
 It has support for animation, realtime interaction and multimedia
 (image, movie, sound).
 VRML97 can be written by popular programs like maya, catia,
 3D Studio MAX, cinema4D and others on various operation systems.
 VRML97 can be used in immersive enviroments with OneWall, CAVE or HMD.

 White_dune is rather useless as 3D Modeller, except you work with the
 new VRML200x type NURBS Node.
 For artistic work, the usage of a static Linux 3D modeller with VRML97
 export features like sced , ppmodeler, mjbWorld or ac3d is recommended.
 Usefull VRML Browsers under Linux are FreeWRL, OpenVRML and VRwave.

 White_dune can load and store x3d (next generation VRML xml format)
 files, if configured to work with the nist.gov x3d translators.

 Under Unix/Linux white_dune has support for stereoscopic view via
 "quadbuffer" capable stereo visuals.
 This has been tested on a Linux PC with commerical XIG X-Server DX -
 Platinum, a Matrox G400 and ELSA 3D REVELATOR shutterglases.

Copyright

 "white_dune" continue the work of Stephen F. White on the program dune.

 Dune (and therefore white_dune) is free Software under the
 GNU General Public License (GPL)
--
Das Warnen: jener Windows kann eine begrenzte Zahl von Taufbecken
ueberhaeufen, und ihr Computer wird sich drastisch verlangsamen,

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 07:22:33 CST
From: "Jimmy D . Burrell" <jburrell@concoctedlogic.com>
Subject: digfe-0.7.3 is available

Jim Burrell is glad to announce digfe-0.7.3!

digfe is a free GUI 'front end' for the DNS client program, 'dig'. With a
user interface modeled after nmapfe, digfe strives to simplify dns querys.
Written in tcl/tk digfe was developed on Linux but should run on any
platform supporting the language, e.g. Windows, Solaris, etc.

HOME WEB SITE:
http://www.concoctedlogic.com/digfe

SPECIFICS:
License: GPL
Author: Jim Burrell (jburrell@concoctedlogic.com)
Version: 0.7.3
Release date: 12-17-2001
Language: tcl/tk
IDE: Visual TCL
Platform / OS: Linux and clones, Windows, etc.

BUG REPORTS AND FEEDBACK:
http://www.concoctedlogic.com/digfe/
        or
jburrell@concoctedlogic.com

Thank You,

Jim Burrell

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 07:22:40 CST
From: kirk@grammatech.com (Kirk Macolini)
Subject: GrammaTech releases Ada-ASSURED and Ada-Utilities for Linux

GrammaTech announced today that it has released new versions of its
multi-purpose development tools, Ada-ASSURED and Ada-Utilities,
running on the Linux operating system for the first time.

Ada-ASSURED and Ada-Utilities are language-based tools for editing,
browsing, enforcing standards and style guidelines, analyzing code,
and transforming code. Language-based Ada tools use the rules and
structure of the Ada programming language to automate many tasks that
most software engineers still perform laboriously with text-based
tools.

Evaluation copies of Ada-ASSURED can be downloaded
at:http://www.grammatech.com/products/aa/overview.html

Evaluation copies of Ada-Utilities can be downloaded at:
http://www.grammatech.com/products/au/overview.html

Ada-ASSURED ensures consistent coding style, prevents syntax errors
while editing, and provides numerous productivity features for writing
and reviewing code. Available for Windows NT, most Unix platforms, and
now Linux, it features WYSIWYG language-sensitive editing, automatic
standards enforcement, high-quality pretty printing, and hypertext
browsing in a single package that can be integrated with any Ada
compiler.

Ada Utilities is a language-sensitive toolset for quality and
standards auditing of whole Ada projects.  It combines the power of
Ada-ASSURED with tools for auditing, searching, transforming, and
pretty printing entire projects.

The Linux versions of Ada-ASSURED and Ada-Utilities are currently
available directly from GrammaTech, and will be available through
Aonix in the first quarter of 2002.

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 07:22:31 CST
From: kunga@another.com
Subject: Port41 CONTENjecT Publisher For FREE !!  2448

Click on the URL ((http://www.port41.com) to visit the Port41 website now!

Does your website get sand kicked in its face by more dynamic sites?
Do dead links and outdated content mean that it bulges in all the wrong places?

If the answer is 'Yes' then you need to try;

CONTENjecT Site Steroids
a shot in the arm for your website...
AND WE'RE NOT TALKING ANABOLICS !!

Click on the URL ((http://www.port41.com) to visit the Port41 website now!

Are you one of millions of people around the world who have discovered that the \
initial design is just the first step to running a successful website?

Do you find that keeping it filled with fresh content is time-consuming and \
laborious?
Click on the URL ((http://www.port41.com) to visit the Port41 website now!

CONTENjecT Publisher promises to revolutionise the way that you run your website!

Now you can forget about spending ages updating your site. CONTENjecT Publisher \
automates the whole process including uploading images, link updating and even the \
automatic removal of old articles!

Site designers use CONTENjecT Publisher because of it's 100% seamless integration \
with all of their existing and future websites!

Hosting companies use CONTENjecT Publisher to easily add features to their own \
hosting offerings, whilst at the same time cutting down on their own bandwidth costs!

Site owners use CONTENjecT Publisher to reduce the time and costs associated with \
updating a website. No need to pay a company any more!

Click on the URL ((http://www.port41.com) to visit the Port41 website now!

BENEFITS OF USING CONTENjecT Publisher

- NO NEED TO CHANGE WEBHOST!
- 100% COMPLETE INTEGRATION INTO YOUR SITE!
- SETS UP IN SECONDS!
- NO WEBCODING KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED!
- SPEEDS UP YOUR SITE UPDATE PROCESS FROM DAYS TO MINUTES!
- EASILY SYNDICATE YOUR CONTENT ONTO OTHER SITES IN SECONDS!
- NO NEED TO LEARN NEW WEB DESIGN SOFTWARE - THIS IS NOT A SITE DESIGN TOOL!

Click on the URL ((http://www.port41.com) to visit the Port41 website now!
pqmrzfmwzssugdivx

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 07:22:48 CST
From: Frederick Noronha <fred@bytesforall.org>
Subject: INDIA: Linux monthly meet at Goa, Dec 22

ILUG-Goa, the India Linux Users' Group of the western state of Goa, meets
on December 22 at 4 pm at

        Computer Society of India (Goa chapter)
        3rd Floor Naguesh Apartments
        Opposite Navtara Restaurant
        Panjim Market Area
        Panjim 403001 Goa India

Our LUG meets on the fourth Saturday of each month at this venue. We are a
small group of 15-20 members, though our mailing list has 180+
members. Goa is the smallest of the federal provinces of India, with a
population of 1.35 million and area of 3700 sq.kilometres.

Some of the achievements of our LUG in the two short years of its
existance include the launching of plans to use GNU/Linux in schools with
support from RedHat. Our members include scientists from the
(Indian) National Institute of Oceanography, unversity students,
IT professionals and others. All GNU/Linux enthusiasts are more than
welcome to join us at any of our meetings. To become part of our mailing
list, send a blank email to ilug-goa-subscribe@egroups.com

Frederick
--
Frederick Noronha * Freelance Journalist * Goa * India
BYTESFORALL www.bytesforall.org * GOAPIX www.goacom.com/wallpapers/

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 07:22:48 CST
From: Fawad Halim <fawadNOSPAM@linuxpakistan.net>
Subject: Pakistan Linux Users' Community (PLUC)

The Pakistan Linux User's Community (PLUC) is a LUG aiming to promote Linux in \
Pakistan. Our activities have been limited to our mailing list (pluc@yahoogroups.com) \
till now, but we're aiming for lots more.

People interested in joining can either go to our website \
<http://www.linuxpakistan.net/> or join our mailing list at \
pluc-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

-fawad

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 07:22:55 CST
From: John Littler <jlittler@mstation.org>
Subject: WWW: Mstation update

M station News for January 02
===============================
Newly up we have ...
DJ Tom Baker spins techno and tech house disks. We talk to him
about how he got started and what he's been doing. Interview

Dan Kohn has a look at digital property, file sharing, and what
it all means. Essay

a Happy 02 to everyone!

Coming Up: a look at art music today, more tech stuff, more
music stuff, more ...!

During the month we've made separate pages for classical reviews
and beatz archive
items and will be doing the same with pop/dance reviews. The
pages were getting a
little large and unwieldy so hopefully this will be an improvement.

Cheers
John
--
http://Mstation.org

# Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: cola@stump.algebra.com #
# PLEASE remember a short description of the software and the LOCATION.  #
# This group is archived at http://stump.algebra.com/~cola/              #

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: Linux-Announce-Request@NEWS-DIGESTS.MIT.EDU

You can submit announcements to be moderated via:

    Internet: linux-announce@NEWS.ORNL.GOV

    ftp.funet.fi				pub/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux