List:       linux-alpha
Subject:    serial console problems after upgrading to firmware v5.2
From:       Roberto Lumbreras <rover () lander ! es>
Date:       1998-09-24 23:59:03

Hi...

I have two AlphaServers 1000A 5/333 (noritake/primo); with both I'm
running Linux, booting with aboot from the SRM console.

With the original aboot version 0.5 I'm booting a Linux 2.0.33, but
the box never reboots ok, allways fails to reboot the system, and
I've to type "boot" from the console and then it boots.

I'm using the SRM with a serial console, with "boot_reset on" and
"auto_action boot"; I checked with the VGA console and I got the
same.

Nowadays I'm trying to use Linux 2.1.122, so I'm using the other
box to test things... At first, I was unable to boot the kernel
2.1.xxx with the "old" aboot, but with the version patched by
RedHat it seems to work, but also fails to reboot, this time the
box actually *hangs* at reboot time, and I've to use the RESET
buttom.

I checked DEC website, and there was a new version (5.2) of the
firmware for my box, so I upgraded it, I thought that maybe it
could cure the problem.  But now it's worse than before: I'm unable
to boot from the serial console! I get the following...

[...]
CPU 0 booting

(boot dka0.0.0.2000.0 -file 2/vmlinux.gz -flags root=/dev/sda2 console=ttyS0,9600n8)
block 0 of dka0.0.0.2000.0 is a valid boot block
reading 173 blocks from dka0.0.0.2000.0
bootstrap code read in
Building FRU table
FRU table size = 0x92f
base = 1d4000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = 15a00
initializing HWRPB at 2000
initializing page table at fff0000
initializing machine state
setting affinity to the primary CPU
jumping to bootstrap code
halted CPU 0

halt code = 5
HALT instruction executed
PC = 200005c4
boot failure

And booting from the vga console, just setting "console graphics",
it works! But it fails to reboot: it doesn't hang like before, but
it tries and tries to boot, allways fails, and I just have to hit
^C to get to the SRM console, then type "boot" and the system
reboots ok. I've the environment variable "boot_reset on", but the
box doesn't reset itself before trying to boot and dka0 device
seems unavailable.

I would appreciate any help, I need booting from the serial
console, and now I'm unable to do it.

Maybe the interim version available (firmware pre 5.3) fix this?

Regards,
--
Roberto Lumbreras
rover@lander.es | rover@etsit.upm.es | rover@debian.org & pgp 143BE391