List:       linux-alpha
Subject:    Re: interesting things with PC164 and latest milo-980602
From:       Quant-X Alpha Linux Support <stefan () sime ! com>
Date:       1998-09-07 19:39:22

Hi Alexander !

>  int __init SMC93x_Init(void)
>  {
>  	unsigned long SMCUltraBase;
> +
> +	udelay(500);
>
>  	if ((SMCUltraBase = SMCDetectUltraIO()) != 0UL) {
>  		printk("SMC FDC37C93X Ultra I/O Controller found @ 0x%lx\n",

Thanks, I will try it (I give rth's patch a chance first).
But it looks a bit weird to me. I don't think that this
solves really the problem; because sometime the hang occurs earlier,
but it is maybe a good workaround. To start a Init function
with an delay is a bug in 99% of all cases (the last percent
is modem init: delay()+++delay()) ;-}

  ciao -
    Stefan

PS.: Has anyone seen aboot crashing on extreme small kernels ?
     I use a diskless machine and if I build a tiny kernel
     (no SCSI, no IDE, no FD, no virtual-consoles, no audio, only
      de4x5 and a bit networking (NFS-root but no firewalling,
      no blockdevices, no filesystem except NFS-client...)
     This happens on my SX with (nearly plain) 2.1.120.
     The machine has only RAM and a Netcard in it...
     If I add a bit (ext2 for example; this makes the kernel
     bigger by definition) the problem disappears I use
     "make netboot" (aboot-0.5-2.alpha.rpm).

--

Quant-X Service &                         Ph:  (+43) 4212 6004-0
Consulting Ges.m.b.H.                     Fax: (+43) 4212 600420