List:       linux-alpha
Subject:    Re: (patch) SMP Alpha hacks for 2.1.120
From:       Ron Farrer <uct () fidalgo ! net>
Date:       1998-09-03 20:39:00

Adam C. Powell, IV wrote:

> Ron Farrer wrote:
>
> > I don't know who told you that but AFAIK SMP works on ALL generations of
> > Alpha. NT *CAN* do SMP on Alpha visit http://terraserver.microsoft.com
> > it is a very good example.
> >
> > A quote from the site:
> > "The TerraServer Digital AlphaServer 8400 platform from Compaq is
> > powered by eight 440 MHz Alpha 21164 64-bit processors (scalable to
> > fourteen 625 MHz processors)..."
> >
> > Also amazon.com is using an Alpha server with Digital UNIX. And what do
> > think The AlphaServer 8400 with 14 CPUs and Digital UNIX can do? Have a
> > look at http://www.digital.com/alphaserver and look at the documentation
> > available. Or have a look at http://www.unix.digital.com at the customer
> > sucsess stories.
>
> Thanks for the clarification.  I knew there were DU MP servers, but didn't know they were true
> shared memory machines.  I'll have to look for my source on that.  But hey, I'm glad I was wrong!

No problem, just trying to help.

> So, are there any low-cost SMP 21164 boards?  If so, WHERE?

Low-cost.. Not that I know of.. If I hear something I'll try to remember
to let you know. (My company is a Deskstation & Samsung Alpha reseller,
so I might here about it if it happens from them).

> > Now I wont argue that SMP Linux on Alpha is working very well, in fact
> > if I remember/heard right it is in early stages of development -- BUT
> > *IS* in development.
>
> Thanks again!  Any hints on where (people/web sites/messages in archives) to look for this effort?
> I can't find anything concrete in the linux-kernel archives.  (Just some comments on why a 2.1.81
> patch would break future alpha SMP; a search on the author's name turned up nothing.  And a message
> asking, "What's the status of Alpha SMP?" had no replies.

Well I use http://archive.redhat.com a lot, just do a search for Alpha
SMP or similar.

I know that API (Alpha processor Inc.) has taken on board a team of SMP
chipset and system designers to produce Alpha bus chipsets, motherboards
and prototype systems that are designed to be more economical than what
is currently available. One of the people inside has a role to ensure
that these new designs will maintain Linux compatibility. I think his
address is stig-telfer@mediaone.net if that helps.

If I also remember correctly Jay? is helping work on SMP. I don't have
his E-mail address handy but you should be able to find it in the Red
Hat list achives listed above.

> Zeen,
>
> -Adam `Cold Fusion' Powell, IV _/\_ http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/~powell/
> Call with Netscape Conference!  \/  http://dls.netscape.com/      ____
> USDoC, National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST)  |\ ||<  |
> Center for Theoretical and Computational Materials Science  | \||_> |

Regards,

Ron
--
Mr. Ronald B. Farrer, Universal Computer Technologies
E-Mail: uct@fidalgo.net