List:       linux-admin
Subject:    Using ultiple gateways/proxies on a single system
From:       Phillip Morgan <pjmorgan () optushome ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-06-25 21:59:41

Hi,

I must say at this point, having posted over a dozen questions here over
the last two years that the quality of support is very good. Im still
learning and I am always surprised at the general good will of all the
people in these lists. Thank you all.

Now, my latest project...

I am running aslackware linux system with kernel 2.2.18, 384mb RAM,
Squid2.4stable1, apache 1.3.14, and bind 8.1.2.

I'd like to split some users off to a different gateway. Currently, the
default gateway is a cisco 1003 router. Some customers I want to put
onto a different machine which has a second connection to the Internet.

The proxy part is preferred for caching of objects to reduce cost but is
not mandatory. If this scenario is possible without squid then that will
do if there is no other way.

Eg.

Current scenario

+---------+             +--------+            +----------+
| Client1 | ----------- | proxy1 | ---------- | Gateway1 | --->Cable 1
+---------+             +--------+            +----------+

Required setup

                     +=============+
                     :             :
+---------+          :  +--------+ :          +----------+
| Client1 | ----------- | proxy1 | ---------- | Gateway1 | --->Cable 1
+---------+          :  +--------+ :          +----------+
                     :             :
+---------+          :  +--------+ :          +----------+
| Client2 | ----------- | proxy2 | ---------- | Gateway2 | --->Cable 2
+---------+          :  +--------+ :          +----------+
                     :             :
                     +=============+
Single copy of Squid   -----^

Gateway1 is a cisco 1003. Gateway2 is a Win2000 system which is
connected to another internet connection

Eg.

Customer dials into machine 1 (192.168.1.2 - All customers dial into the
ppp machine regardless of which connection to the Internet they will
eventually end up on), which points to gateway1 at 192.168.1.1 through
the squid proxy 'proxy1' as defined in his/her browser. Selected
customers are told to configure their browser for 'proxy2' which points
to 192.168.1.3 and then out through that machine to the internet.

If we don't use a proxy, how then can we tell specific customers
(logically), to route down a different connection?

Any ideaas?

Phillip
-