List:       linux-admin
Subject:    Re: tar & samba file systems
From:       "Adam T. Bowen" <adamb () agitate ! org ! uk>
Date:       2005-09-16 8:35:50

Hi,

       I have had similar behaviour from tar before when using -l (aka
--one-file-system).  It was because I was doing something like:

       tar -lcvf local_files.tar *

in /.  The * of course is expanded to all the filenames in the directory
causing the command to look like:

       tar -lcvf local_files.tar etc bin boot home ...

So even though, say, home is mounted on another partition to /, I am
stating the name of home on the command line and so it is included.  Any
  other non-local file systems encountered whilst traversing the
directories given will not be followed of course.  Anyway, the solution
is to do:

       tar -lcvf local_files.tar .

or just name the directories you want.

Hope that helps.