List:       linux-admin
Subject:    Re: Problems and suggestions with hardware and Fedora Core 4
From:       "Adam T. Bowen" <adamb () agitate ! org ! uk>
Date:       2005-09-12 9:21:26

Hi,

Bargel Jazat wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions about the problem on fc4.
[snip]
> - Adam: I ran chkrootkit and found no problems. I have not run any virus
> check yet. Have
>  viruses for Linux been reported?

There are a few out there, they just don't propagate on *nix systems
because of the pervasive security model.  I probably over reacted with
that part of my advice, but whenever I hear a phrase like "a few binary
files were different," I loose my head.

[snip]
>  Maybe fc4 is not stable enough (yet) for a production environment?
>  I want to run a server for a web application I am writing. Would you
> suggest me to move
>  back to fc3 or fc2?
>  I have also considered moving to Debian (uses older versions of
> packages and kernel and
>  should be more stable).

I would recommend against running any version of Fedora Core on a
production system.  It is a bleeding edge distro used as "a proving
ground for new technology."  If you like the redhat/fedora way of doing
things, I can recommend CentOS:

       http://www.centos.org/

Cheers

Adam