List:       linux-admin
Subject:    Re: Slackware? and NIS
From:       Mauricio Silveira <msilveira () linuxbr ! com>
Date:       2004-05-26 4:45:26

Jeff Largent wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 20:27, Mauricio Silveira wrote:
>

>>Hello there
>>

>>I've notice some strange behaviour about NIS.
>>I'm using a slackware 9.1 box with slackware-current updates.
>>

>>I've configured a server and ran make under /var/yp and then tried
>>'ypcat passwd' and 'ypcat group' on a client machine; It retrieved the
>>passwd file correctly, but the group was empty. Later I ran 'ypmake' and
>>the 'ypcat group'  on the client side dumped the information.
>>

>I've never run NIS on a Slackware box, but on Redhat you have to edit
>the Makefile in /var/yp.  It dosn't work straight out of the box.
>

>>And when I change the password on the server machine, I must run make
>>under /var/yp, ypmake does'nt update the NIS passwd database.
>>

>Did you mean running passwd on the server did not make the NIS passwd
>database?  When you are running NIS use yppasswd instead of passwd.

I know I should run ypppasswd on the client side, but when i change some
user's password on the server machine, running ypmake doesn't update the
NIS databases, I MUST run make under /var/yp to get the passwords
updated to the NIS service. This seems like a NIS/ypmake bug?

On the other side, if I run make under /var/yp for the first time, the
"group" table is built empty, and running ypmake rebuilds it correctly.

>>So, my question is: Am I doind something wrong, or NIS is not behaving
>>as it should... here?
>>
>>version information:
>>
>>yp-tools-2.8
>>ypbind-mt-1.17.2
>>ypmake-0.11
>>ypserv-2.12.1

Seems like NIS 'schema' changed a lot since I last used them...

-