List:       linux-admin
Subject:    Re: _Old_ tape drive type.
From:       Adam Daniel <adamd () forensicdata ! com ! au>
Date:       2002-11-14 0:46:18

Sorry about the late reply to this one ..been on holiday.

I convert this type of tape all the time ..they are QIC tapes and can be
read on almost all tandberg 1/4" SLR type tape drives (they used to be TDC
drives) we have quite a few here (TDC4222's and TDC4220's) the main
difference in the drives being the compression.

If you plug one of these into a scsi card and have ST support, then it'll
just come up as a /dev/st* device node and you'll be able to dump the data
straight off.

Be careful ..there was a type of HP QIC tape that ran in the opposite
direction to the normal tandberg/wangtek/mountain drives ..if its one of
these tapes, then a normal QIC drive will despool it straight away as it
uses different PEOT markers (holes in the tape that tell the drive where
the Physical End of Tape is) These tapes are HP branded and ive only come
across them once or twice, so it should be fine.

Once you've dumped the data, then you'll have the problem of what backup
format they are in ..if your lucky its something simple like tar or MTF.

depending on where you are, there should be someone offering a conversion
service to convert these into a newer format.

if your in the UK ..try these guys:

http://www.intermedia.uk.com/

they've been around for a looong time and have some windows software (now
called MMPC) that will read more tape formats then i care to mention.

Good luck

Adam Daniel

Technical Consultant
FORENSIC DATA SERVICES PTY LIMITED
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
intended solely for the addressee. If you received this e-mail by
mistake please notify us immediately and delete all copies of this
message. You must not disclose or use in any way the information in the
e-mail. It is the responsibility of the recipient to virus scan this
e-mail and any attachments included.