List:       linux-admin
Subject:    Re: Converting from ext2 to ext3
From:       James <james () piku ! org ! uk>
Date:       2002-05-31 21:17:08

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 05:18:13PM -0300, Dar?o Mariani wrote:
| Hello:
|   Which command should I run in a Linux RedHat 7.3 box to convert an
| ext2 fs to ext3?

Shut your machine down into runlevel 1 (make sure you're sat at the
console, then type 'init 1')

Then type:

tune2fs -j /dev/blah

Then edit /etc/fstab and change the filesystem type for that
partition to ext3.

Backing up your data recommended! (it'll probably work perfectly well
and not mess up, but if it does, you'll be glad of the backup).

I can't remember if you need to unmount the partitions first. You
probably do, so for your root partition you'll need to boot from a
bootdisk (the Slackware ones are handy for this) and issue the command.

And just so you know, when making new partitions, adding '-J' to mke2fs
will create ext3 partitions for you.

--
I will not fake seizures

6AD6 865A BF6E 76BB 1FC2 | www.piku.org.uk/public-key.asc