List:       linux-admin
Subject:    Re: IDE Hardware RAID1 PDC20265
From:       "Shaf [Mobile]" <shaf () shaf ! net>
Date:       2001-12-30 20:25:30

Mihai - I was trying to avoid having to do this, hence my initial enquiry ;)

OK Here goes... Tested software RAID1 with bonnie++ and was impressed by the \
figures... Then tried to use the same array set with the same kernel(2.14.17) with \
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_PDC et.al...... Completely screwed things up I could not be \
asked to recover the RAID ;)

So I ended up doing a fresh install of rh7.2 on a single disk /dev/hde(no software \
RAID)... Recompiled the kernel 2.14.17 with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_PDC etc  And \
booted this kernel off a floppy and managed to get the OS up...

HOWEVER looking at dmesg PDCRAID version was 0.03beta it managed to recognize my RAID \
setup(done after the install via the promise controller)but did do nothing with it ! \
The disks obviously needed syncing but no errors were generated ! I must have missed \
something maybe the md subsystem ? As it stands the kernel manages to mount \
/dev/ataraiod/d0p1 and recognized RAID1 configuration but the disk read/writes are to \
one disk only named /dev/hde.

I may have some more ideas to try to get this working but if anyone can throw over \
some suggestions all the merrier....

Noted : the ataraid howto specified that the driver is only RAID1 compatible ?

Many thanks in advance.
Shaf

Shaf - shaf@shaf.net -