List:       linux-admin
Subject:    Re: DHCP question
From:       "Colleen R. Dick" <platypus () proaxis ! com>
Date:       2001-12-22 17:49:47

>I have a dual boot PC (W95 and Red Hat). I connect to the Internet using
>a cable modem. My ISP has DHCP.
>Every time that I shutdown my Linux, the DHCP server does not release
>the IP address. When my stepdaugther tries to boot W98, the DHCP does
>not assign an IP, since we already have one, that was not released.

>Before shuting down my Linux box, I issue an ifconfig eth0 down, but
>does not help.

>Is there any way to let the DHCP server know that I'm releasing the IP
>address?

I don't know exactly the answer but here are some things you can check:

Issuing ifconfig eth0 down will not help because in shutdown brings down
eth0 anyway.
It could be a problem with your windows configuration.  If you leave it
off a long time
and boot your windows first, does that work?  It could be also a problem
with the dhcp
server at your ISP.  What happsn if you reboot linux?

check in your etc/dhpcd/dhcpcd-eth0.info and see what your leasetime is.
I have a dhcp redhat box.  In that .info file, dhcp server gives me lease
time of 900 and
the renew time is 450  See what your server is feeding you.
Also check your etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifconfig-eth0
mine is very simple, just DEVICE=eth0, ONBOOT=yes, BOOTPROTO=dhcp

Hope this is helpful,

Colleen

-