List:       linux-admin
Subject:    RE: Bandwidth reservation
From:       "Milan P. Stanic" <mps () rns-nis ! co ! yu>
Date:       2001-12-12 8:55:04

On 10-Dec-2001 James wrote:
[...]
>| http://freshmeat.net/projects/linux2.4routingtrafficcontrolhowto/
>|

> Ahhh, this sounds more like it, thanks.
>
> I can't tell people how quickly to send me stuff, but according to that

But you can tell them how much you can receive in some time periods. They
should slowdown then.

As I understand QoS you can rate limit incoming traffic (ingress) but it is
not so simple, and I didn't had big success yet. But I can limit incoming
traffic to my machine on the Ethernet link. I didn't tried filters in testbed
yet, though.

It works in such a way: You create incoming queue on network interface and
when incoming traffic exceeds limits (imposed by You, as administrator)
machine simply drops packet what causes sending machine to slow down. From
that it is clear that that cannot be fine tuned but (as I said) it works.

> document, I can tell my routing machine how quickly to send my other
> machine data. To me this should achieve the same thing.

That works fine. But Linux by default have three level of priority. You can
mark packet's TOS (Type of Service) field and you will get some kind of
traffic segregation. Examples can be found in many (so called) firewall
scripts on the Net or in the IPCHAINS docs.

Milan
-