List:       linux-390
Subject:    Re: trying to recover existing install
From:       Mark Post <mpost () suse ! com>
Date:       2022-02-01 15:49:17

On 1/31/22 18:02, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> the second one worked:
> 00: CP DEFINE VFB-512 300 200000
> 00: DASD 0300 DEFINED
>
>> The CMS FTP client lives on your 592 disk, so you'll need to access that
>> before trying to download the files.
> yeah, i was able to ftp files in already, i just ran out of space.
>
> that said, i talked to our admin, and they were fine with increasing our
> normal boot disk.  but this temp disk approach is good info, thanks.

I forgot an even simpler method. You mentioned that you had a working
guest on the same z/VM system. From there, you could do this:
chccwdev -e D
vmur punch -u user2 -r /path/to/kernel --name kernel.img
vmur punch -u user2 -r /path/to/initrd --name initrd.img

Make sure you're pointing to an installation kernel and initrd, and not
one from your running system. That will avoid a (possibly long) wait
while dracut tries to find the root file system from the originating
system. But, if that's all you have, it should still work.

Then, on the USER2 guest, create an appropriate parmfile, and
#cp sp pun * nocont
punch parmfile name (noh
#cp q rdr all
#cp order rdr kernelspoolid# parmfilespoolid#
#cp ipl c

Use the Spool ID of the kernel in the virtual reader (from the #cp q r
all command) to replace "kernelspoolid#" and the same for the
"parmfilespoolid#" in the #cp order command.

Mark Post