List:       linux-390
Subject:    SUSE Open Build Service (OBS) now builds s390x packages for SLES12
From:       Mark Post <mpost () suse ! com>
Date:       2015-05-21 18:45:32

Cross-posted to Linux-390, IBMVM, and IBM-MAIN

All,

SUSE and openSUSE recently set up KVM virtual machines running on Power =
hardware to build packages for SLES12 for System z (or z Systems depending =
on how much you want to stay on IBM Marketing's good side) within the Open =
Build Service.

It's not particularly fast, and there may be bugs in KVM yet, but if =
anyone is interesting in building Free/Libre Open Source packages for the =
mainframe we'd like you try it out at https://build.opensuse.org/  You =
will need to create a userid for OBS to use it from either the web =
interface or via the osc command line tool.  The current version is at =
http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.1/noarch/osc-0.151.2-2.27.1.noarch.r=
pm

It would be possible to set up a means for people to initiate "local" =
builds on their own Intel/AMD systems when using the "osc build" command.  =
If you're interested in this, please let me know and I'll talk with the =
OBS team about making it happen.

Please report any problems you encounter at https://github.com/openSUSE/ope=
n-build-service/issues

There's some documentation at the OBS portal: https://en.opensuse.org/Porta=
l:Build_service

I created packages for THE and Regina to ensure things work.  (I had to =
report a bug in KVM before things worked as expected for me.)  Check them =
out at https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:markkp:THE

Mark Post

send email to LISTSERV@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit