List:       linux-390
Subject:    Re: RHEL CONF file network info for VLAN connection
From:       Alan Altmark <Alan_Altmark () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2015-04-30 13:45:56

On Thursday, 04/30/2015 at 08:20 EDT, "Milstead, Matthew"
<Matthew.Milstead@ssa.gov> wrote:
> I suspect your assessment is correct.  After the initial network change
we
> created a VSWITCH with PORTTYPE TRUNK, and when I tried using just the
> ifcfg-eth0 file on the Linux guest it failed.  That led me to using the
VLAN
> specific files in network-scripts.
>
> I am going to try the ACCESS type instead for the VSWITCH make the
adjustments
> on the Linux guest.  Thanks!

You're welcome.  I keep asking Development to remove the PORTTYPE option
from DEFINE VSWITCH.  The only people who *don't* make this error are
those who've seen my VSWITCH presentations at conferences or who don't
know the option exists.

It's an "attractive nuisance" for curious sysprogs; seemingly
irresistible.

And I have to correct my syntax on SET VSWITCH GRANT for VLAN-aware
guests.  I wrote:

   SET VSWITCH VSW1 GRANT LINUX003 VLAN 207 208

But I *should* have written:

   SET VSWITCH VSW1 GRANT LINUX003 PORTTYPE TRUNK VLAN 207 208

If I had to do it all over again, I would make some significant changes in
the definition and operations of VSWITCHes and NICs.  It might not change
the syntax so much as it would change the meaning.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
IBM Systems & Technology Group
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323