List:       linux-390
Subject:    Re: Any tips on running 32-bit Java on a RHEL6 zlinux server?
From:       Rodger Donaldson <rodgerd () diaspora ! gen ! nz>
Date:       2012-11-30 4:24:46

On 30.11.2012 07:19, Collinson.Shannon wrote:

> Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm a z/OS sysprog trying to
> keep z/VM and zlinux running at our shop so most of my questions are
> probably dumb.  But we're trying to get a vendor tool (CA's Workload
> Automation agent) running on our new RHEL6.2 linux-on-z servers, and
> we can't find the right Java package for it.  Part of it was not
> understanding the Java packaging, but now that we know that the agent
> requirement of "JRE 1.6 SR8, or higher (31-bit)" means we need to
> find
> a Java 2 1.6.0 Runtime Environment package for s390 (31-bit, right?)
> at service release 8 or better, we can't seem to find one.

You should be able to get something like
java-1.6.0-ibm-1.6.0.x-1jpp.1.el6_2.s390, where x >= 8.

> However, when we try to
> install that, it attempts to replace the 64-bit Java 1.6 already on
> the server.  Can they not coexist like on z/OS?

Yes, but it depends how you install them.  If you do:

rpm -Uvh it will upgrade and remove whatever it thinks it oldest.

If you do

rpm -ivh it will install side by side.

However, there's a gotcha at work here: Red Hat use the alternatives
system to have a default available where there are multiple versions of
the same binary present.  If you do:

$ which java

it will tell you where the java executable is being run from, which
should be '/usr/bin/java'.

If you do:

$ ls -l /usr/bin/java

you should get something like:

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 22 May 20  2012 /usr/bin/java ->
/etc/alternatives/java

If you do

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 42 May 20  2012 /etc/alternatives/java ->
/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-ibm.x86_64/bin/java

You'll see the real java binary it's pointing at.  You can either use
the 'alternatives' command to change the default for all use of the bare
'java' command on the system, or use the specific
/usr/lib/jvm/jre-xxx/bin/java that you want when starting a program.

--
Rodger Donaldson
rodgerd@diaspora.gen.nz

send email to LISTSERV@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit