List:       linux-390
Subject:    Re: SLES 11 SP 1 - Install - Part 2
From:       Agblad Tore <Tore.Agblad () volvo ! com>
Date:       2010-10-19 9:32:55

Hi David, about the disk layout and LVM, I also have struggled with that
and a numer of times got problems with to small sizes.
After a number of not so good sizes/layouts, I now use as below:

mdisk  mountpoint   cyls
200    /            500
201    /boot        200
202    swap vdisk   64mb
203    swap vdisk   64mb
204    swap disk    550
205    system_vg    10000  (LVM, 6.87 GB)
206    /tmp         1500 cyls

system_vg/home_lv   /home   200 MB
system_vg/opt_lv    /opt    2.5 GB
system_vg/root_lv   /root    52 MB
system_vg/srv_lv    /srv    100 MB
system_vg/usr_lv    /usr   2.88 GB
system_vg/var_lv    /var   1.22 GB

Some other sources (install-dvds, was...)
is on readonly disks shared so all can link to them.

Now we can extend the disks needed without problem.
Be sure to use ext3 to be able to extend online while mounted.
And you can use /ext2 at least for /boot
maybe also for / ...
and definitly use ext2 for all disks shared and mounted read-only !

Tore Agblad
Volvo Information Technology
Infrastructure Mainframe Design & Development, Linux servers
Dept 4352  DA1S
SE-405 08, Gothenburg  Sweden

Telephone: +46-31-3233569
E-mail: Tore.Agblad@volvo.com