List:       linux-390
Subject:    Re: DASD offline
From:       Agblad Tore <Tore.Agblad () volvo ! com>
Date:       2010-10-12 6:20:45

In a SLES11 you should do like this:
This is an example from adding a disk to a LVM.

Add the disk, below if you use VMSECURE:
vmsecure addm zlin1052 209 VM03data 4800 3390-27 * * MR ALL ALL ALL (NOF

    1  vmcp link zlin1052 209 209 mr
    2  chccwdev -d 209    (make it online and rerun mkinitrd,zipl
                  don't sure if it is really needed, just to be sure)
    3  mkinitrd
    4  zipl
    5  lsdasd      (check what dasd? it got)
            Use -d ldl to be able to use DIAG driver for I/O
            This will also auto create a partition on it, no need for fdasd)
    7  dasdfmt -b 4096 -d ldl -f /dev/dasdn
    8  dasd_configure 0.0.0209 1 1   (first 1 tells Linux to bring this disk
             online at boot, second 1 tells it to use DIAG driver,
             the disk can not be mounted while doing this)
    9  lsdasd   (just checking names)
   10  pvcreate /dev/dasdn1
   12  vgextend system_vg /dev/dasdn1
   13  pvdisplay /dev/dasdn1   (checking available PEs, extents)
   14  lvdisplay
   15  lvextend --extents +343 /dev/system_vg/opt_lv
   16  lvextend --extents +500 /dev/system_vg/home_lv
   19  lsof | grep /opt  (check who is using any file on /opt)
   20  top
   21  /etc/init.d/tsmclient_local stop  (stopped the backup client)
   23  lsof | grep " /opt"

resize2fs could also be run while filesystem is mounted if it is ext3

   24  umount /opt
   25  e2fsck -f /dev/system_vg/opt_lv
   26  resize2fs -p /dev/system_vg/opt_lv
   27  mount /opt
   28  /etc/init.d/tsmclient_local start
   29  umount /home
   32  e2fsck -f /dev/system_vg/home_lv
   33  resize2fs -p /dev/system_vg/home_lv
   34  mount /home

and to make DIAG work, I also have modified /etc/modprobe.conf.local:

#
# please add local extensions to this file
#
options dasd_mod dasd=200(diag),201(diag),202-207,20c(diag),2a1(diag),500,600

and:

/etc/sysconfig/kernel should contain:

INITRD_MODULES="jbd ext3 dasd_diag_mod"

MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT="vmcp"

Now you should be Ok :)

Tore Agblad
Volvo Information Technology
Infrastructure Mainframe Design & Development, Linux servers
Dept 4352  DA1S
SE-405 08, Gothenburg  Sweden

Telephone: +46-31-3233569
E-mail: Tore.Agblad@volvo.com