List:       linux-390
Subject:    Re: Logging of activities for userid in su mode to root ...?
From:       Richard Troth <vmcowboy () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-30 17:33:06

In at least one shop where I have worked, we tracked keystrokes within
the 'su' subshell.  There is painfully much traffic in that model.

More recently, in my current job, we take advantage of the shell
history, which you noted.  What we do is set a different BASH history
file for each 'su' user.  Say I am "rick" and I 'sudo su -' to get a
root shell.  My commands are then logged in
/root/.histfiles/rick.history or some such.  One can determine the
user behind the 'su' from a 'who am i' in the root shell.  The pseudo
terminal is normally still owned by the original user.  So we're
getting less detail than the byte-at-a-time thing, but it's a LOT
easier to implement and MUCH less expensive to run.