List:       linux-390
Subject:    Re: Trouble installing Tomcat
From:       Mark Post <mpost () novell ! com>
Date:       2007-10-31 15:24:48

<472863BA.CC6B.00E1.0@cuyahogacounty.us>, Paul Noble <pnoble@cuyahogacounty.us>
wrote:
> The rpm --checksig command simply returned to the command prompt. That is,
> there was no output from the command, but there was no error, either.

Ok, that's not good.  You should have gotten _something_ back.  If everything was \
good, you would have seen this: # rpm --checksig xalan-j2-2.6.0-21.2.noarch.rpm
xalan-j2-2.6.0-21.2.noarch.rpm: sha1 md5 gpg OK

> When I run the md5sum command, it goes to the next line and seems to wait
> for input. It does not output anything that looks even remotely like the
> checksum (if that's what it is) that you show. I can cancel it by typing
> <CTRL>-c, but I still get no output.

That's because you're being a little impatient.  The command has to grind through the \
4GB+ of data and generate the checksum.  That can take a while, particularly on a \
loaded (or simply just slow) system.

> I think that maybe I should just go download the new iso file, just on
> general principals. Might as well be working with the latest version.

I agree whole heartedly with that sentiment.  There really are some very nice things \
in SP1, and of course lots of bug fixes.

Mark Post