List:       linux-390
Subject:    Re: Linux VServer
From:       Alan Cox <alan () lxorguk ! ukuu ! org ! uk>
Date:       2007-10-25 22:27:26

> Advantage: It's free, or close to it.
>
> Disadvantages:
> It doesn't take any advantage of the hardware it's running on.

It doesn't need to

> If an application manages to crash the system, it has crashed all the
> systems

And if an app crashes the hypervisor down goes the box (console
scrolling ?). So its a risk thing

> It doesn't provide the degree of virtual environment separation that z/VM
> does

Its specifically designed not to

> It doesn't really isolate the resource usage; everything is in one Linux box
Ditto

> It's not a real virtual environment; It's just a way of containing several
> users within a separated environment within a single Linux image.

Ditto - and because of this its vastly more efficient especially for
memory usage.

You are comparing apples and oranges here.

I guess if you wanted hypervisor type seperation on the cheap someone
should port lguest to S/390.

Alan