List:       linaro-validation
Subject:    Re: [Linaro-validation] docs for lava-tool
From:       Milosz Wasilewski <milosz.wasilewski () linaro ! org>
Date:       2013-11-11 9:51:33

On 8 November 2013 20:42, Antonio Terceiro <antonio.terceiro@linaro.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 08, 2013 at 03:58:40PM +0000, Milosz Wasilewski wrote:
>> On 8 November 2013 14:21, Antonio Terceiro <antonio.terceiro@linaro.org> wrote:
>> > I recognize this UI is not optimal and will appreciate any suggestions
>> > on how to improve. Adding an explanation next to each parameter would
>> > probably help.
>>
>> is the server parameter used in any way? If not it might be just
>> removed.
>
> it is used to suggest the URL for you next time. So say you have
> submitted to `myserver` at http://example.com/RPC2/, next time it will
> prompt you with `myserver` as default, and when you just hit ENTER, it
> will also suggest the URL associated with `myserver` for you so you just
> have to hit ENTER again if that's OK. So if you use more than one server
> we can choose between then just by name, and the URL will be given to
> you.

IMO using just the RPC endpoint here would be better. I tend to forget
what URL 'myserver' is set to. It would also remove the ambiguity I
run into when trying this for the first time.

>> Another problem I noticed when I managed to submit the job is
>> missing submit_results command (in the result JSON file). I guess this
>> is by design, but adding it might be a good idea.
>
> Yes, that is by design because submitting results assumes you know to
> which bundle stream you want to submit to which we don't. Maybe we can
> add a new parameter for that.

I would consider that as a wish list rather than a strong requirement.
I consider using lava-tool for submitting jobs more as a sandbox than
a production like method. On the other hand it would be pretty useful
to test result parsing as well.

--
milosz