List:       linaro-validation
Subject:    [Linaro-validation] Lava Install Notes
From:       andy.doan () linaro ! org (Andy Doan)
Date:       2012-06-12 14:41:38

Thanks for the input! This information is always of value. A few
comments inline:

On 06/07/2012 05:06 PM, William Mills wrote:
> All,
>
> Last week (mostly the weekend) I started a project to set up my own lava
> instance. I use EC2 for this sort of thing so I don't trash my own systems.
>
> Below is a walk through of my experience. Take it for what it is worth.
>
> I did get something running at http://test3.arago-project.org/
> I'll leave it running over the weekend.
>
> I was hoping to do this all again clean but that does not look like it
> will happen anytime soon. Rather than letting this get stale, I will
> share it in its rather "raw" form.
>
> 0) What Ubuntu version?
>
> I started with 12.04 but Lava seems to default to python2.6 and that is
> not even an install candidate in 12.04 so I backed up to 11.10. Not sure
> if it really matters or not as the virtualenv seems to have used 2.7
> even though lava-deployment-tool hard codes 2.6. Did not figure out what
> was going on there.

Interesting. I run on 12.04 at home so I'm not sure what happened.

> 1) lava-tool, lava-scheduler-tool, do not work behind an http proxy
> workaround: go home to play w/ lava

This is a known bug:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/lava-tool/+bug/898174

> 2) lava-deployment-tool does not handle uwsgi download correctly
> tarball has moved to old/
> some places fixed others not
> workaround: patch to centralize definition
> better fix: look in both "" and "/old"
> better'ist fix: also move this to bundle
> (otherwise this defeats the whole purpose of all the bundle overhead)

Thanks - this has now been fixed.

> 3) lava-deployment-tool wizards are a pain in the neck
> better fix: have separate config step that creates values
> install then takes bundle and config

Yes - we are starting to feel the same way and are thinking about trying
to improve this if we can find the time.

> 4) no admin account and don't know how to install
> instructions tell you to login to admin but no info on how to
> lava-deployment-tool manage test1 createsuperuser
> example should give URL for those not familiar with django conventions

good point

> 5) deployment does not enable https:// protocol but examples use it
> hack workaround: use http: for everything
> shouldn't things that require authorization only work over https://?? at
> least as an option?

good feedback. This is an area that has been hard for the team. We are
trying to make LAVA more "product" friendly and not just a Linaro service.

> 6) need to add schedule job permissions for users
> prerequisite: login to site w/ your launchpad account
> log in to site admin w/ superuser account
> find your launchpad account in Users
> add scheduler* permissions
> better fix: create labuser and labadmin groups and give appropriate
> permissions to each, then just add users to appropriate group
>
> 7) keyring.core needed but not available
> source /srv/lava/instances/test1/bin/activate
> pip install keyring
> deactivate
>
> 8) no devicetypes
> docs talk about adding device but does not say you need to add device
> type as well
> cant add a device w/o first adding a device type
> dashboard has a device type also, do I need to add there as well? [Seems
> like No]

There are two places this is done:

lava-dispatcher (file based configs) - from here a device type is not
required, but is handy because it makes the config for each device much
smaller

lava-scheduler app (django) - From here you must define a device type
because each device needs to point to what device type it belongs to.
This is used for grouping things in our UI.

> what about kernel ci?
> this all seams very manual
> (tried to submit without any device or device type, did get 404 error)
> in django admin panel under scheduler add device type panda

I've never set this up locally. Michael may have tips for this.

> [can submit a job now]
>
> 9) added device config file to wrong directory, needs to go into
> /srv/lava/instances/test1/etc/lava-dispatcher/devices/ not up one level
>
> 10) need to install conmux, & missing dependency liburi-perl
> (for real HW this would be needed. I got it working but it was not clear
> where they got the apc control app from and how it was configured.
> need command hardreset)
>
> [switched to qemu focus]
>
> 11) Add beagle-xm device type & beagle-xm01 device to scheduler
> add devices/beagle-xm01.conf
> device_type = beagle-xm
> hostname = beagle-xm01
> client_type = qemu
>
> 12) download of hwpack and rootfs not working
> getting html for root dir of release server
> wget of same url works ok on same machine
> I suspect that url2 opener does not handle redirects that
> releases.linaro.com make the user do (even thought wget works fine)
> squid proxy probably hides this from dispatcher
> result: squid is not really optional
> workaround: put copy of images needed into my /images/ref dir and change
> job to refer to those.
> works

This is because of the click-through license stuff on
releases.linaro.org. The urllib2 API in python doesn't handle this well.
Your workaround is pretty sensible.