List:       linaro-validation
Subject:    [Linaro-validation] LAVA QA Tracker dev status
From:       abner () collabora ! co ! uk (Abner Silva)
Date:       2012-03-26 14:59:41

Hi all,

On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 22:26 -0500, Paul Larson wrote:
> Hi Jeff, a bit of background on lava-qatracker.  A while back, we were
> using another qatracker and having some issues.  It allowed us to set
> up milestones for testing, but just linked to a wiki page with steps
> to test, which a tester would have to follow, then come back to the
> page and just enter any bug numbers that were found.  There was no
> more detail than that, and just telling someone to follow a wiki made
> it too easy to miss steps completely.
>
> Just with some quick brainstorming, we thought it would be really
> useful to have a system that would allow us to define the tests, take
> the user through the tests and let them answer right on the page
> whether it passed, failed, or was skipped.  It wasn't meant to be a
> finished solution, just a starting point for the conversation about
> what features should be included in the first pass.  I think already,
> it would be a huge improvement, but there were some important things
> missing.  Namely, we needed a good way to link manual tests to
> automated tests on the same image, and visualize them together for the
> milestone testing.  This proved difficult because on Ubuntu, we have
> separate build artifacts that are combined to make the image.
> However, over the next month or so, we're looking at moving to a
> different system for producing the builds, and creating an image at
> build time that could be submitted.  This should simplify the
> definition of "what is an image" quite a bit.

I (and Jeff of course) have been looking for a tool to help with
tracking manual test results for some time already, and honestly it
would be awesome to have it integrated with the automated test results.
That's why I'm interested to define the QA Tracker future. That way we
could start planning to work on this tool or discard it as a possible
alternative.

I heard that Salveti was planning to use QA Tracker really soon and even
came up with a list of basic requirements/features that he would like to
have. They seem very simple in terms of functionalities, but might need
some definitions, like what is an image, etc.

I know it's not a priority for you guys right now, but it would be nice
if we could start officially listing what are the features we would be
aiming for the next release and what need to be decided before the
development start, otherwise the project will stay stuck until someone
else really need it again.

What do you think?

> There are still a number of issues that need to be worked out.  For
> instance, linking and visualization of the results, how to define the
> tests (as a bzr branch with files, or in the db directly are two
> options that have been brought up), granularity of products,
> milestones, etc.  I'd love to get input from other interested parties
> such as collabora so that it's not only useful to us, but flexible
> enough to be useful to others as well.
>
> In the interest of making it usable enough to demo what's there, and
> be useful as a conversation starter again, I did a bit of testing on
> it today and fixed a couple of bugs that might have been preventing
> you from seeing how to use it. It looks like you've gotten far enough
> to install it and make it run, so I'll skip over the boring details of
> that.  Update your branch and reinstall though, and I'll start from
> there:
> 1. Login as the admin user and open the admin interface
> 2. Click on the +Add button next to "milestones" on that page
> 3. Give it a name, bundle stream, etc.  You'll also want to give it a
> branch to use.  For the branch just use
> "https://code.launchpad.net/~mwhudson/+junk/test-cases" which has some
> example tests in it
> the top, and select the milestone you just created", under there
> you'll see how it asks you for test results, etc.
>
> Let me know if you have any issues with getting to this point.  I'd
> like to talk further about your interest, and ideas for what kind of
> features you're looking to have in a tool like this.

Honestly there're no many features to have in a such tool IMO. What we
are looking for is a simple way to track results of manual tests and
generate reports. So, it can be very simple and basic, no rocket
science. The point is that we would like to align our interests with
Linaro's ones, then we could have a tool that everybody could take
advantage. I guess that I good start point would be the list of
requirements that Salveti cooked some time ago. You guys have it?

Again, thanks a lot for this brainstorm.

BR,

-Abner