List:       linaro-toolchain
Subject:    Re: [Weekly] 17-21 FEB 2013
From:       Riku Voipio <riku.voipio () linaro ! org>
Date:       2014-02-24 17:27:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 24 February 2014 17:10, Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:

> On 24 February 2014 14:54, Rob Savoye <rob.savoye@linaro.org> wrote:
> > On 02/24/2014 07:15 AM, Wookey wrote:
> >> Where does a 'boards' file go/come from?
> >   It's a DejaGnu config file, used for remote testing.
> >> Yes, or setting QEMU_UNAME on the command line, but I don't see how
> >> those work well with the binfmt settings that simply give a binary to
> >> run when the kernel spots the relevant binary magic. There is no
> >> provision for options or env vars, and the whole thing is clearly going
> >> to work much better if the binary just DTRT.
> >
> >   I'm not using binfmt, DejaGnu fires up qemu-aarch64 with the
> > executable name. What would I set QEMU_UNAME to ?
>
> If you're using qemu master you shouldn't need to set it to
> anything. It's an emergency-use mechanism in case a future
> newer glibc wants an even newer kernel, but it shouldn't
> be necessary right now, because qemu will automatically
> force the reported kernel version to at least 3.8.0.

I'm not sure where the Ubuntu qemu patch came from (I didn't
> think Ubuntu were shipping any aarch64 qemu just yet) but
> it looks like part of the SuSE tree's workaround for this
> issue, which we fixed in a cleaner way upstream.

Ubuntu passes --enable-uname-release=2.6.32 for configure, which overrides
the clean way in  upstream. Now, instead of doing the sane thing (dropping
the configure argument) or submitting a useful patch, the problem was just
wallpapered over by adding another override-of-override hidden in
packaging...

That said, the overriding power of the configure flag against
UNAME_MINIMUM_RELEASE is probably not very useful. We might want to drop
the configure flag, and set an UNAME_MINIMUM_RELEASE for all targets. For
people who still want to override, keep the enviroment variable setting
available.