List:       linaro-mm-sig
Subject:    [Linaro-mm-sig] Split GEM from the rest of DRM
From:       kiko () linaro ! org (Christian Robottom Reis)
Date:       2011-04-25 14:54:32

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 06:30:17PM -0500, Clark, Rob wrote:
> >> Interestingly, my impression at the BoF was that people didn't like GEM
> >> and DRM but still wanted to have KMS with their own drivers ;-)
> >
> > The question is why don't these people like DRM? these people are
> > willing to pile binary blobs with fucked up HAL layers in them, or GPL
> > code with wasteful abstractions, and they claim the DRM is too
> > heavyweight?
>
> I would hazard a guess that it is more an issue of documentation and
> lack of familiarity with DRM that scares some off..

It's certainly a reason that two vendors have independently described to
me. Once we decide in what direction we want to take this, we should
budget time for producing developer documentation so they have one less
complaint to offer.
--
Christian Robottom Reis   | [+55] 16 9112 6430 | http://launchpad.net/~kiko
Linaro Engineering VP     | [ +1] 612 216 4935 | http://async.com.br/~kiko