List:       linaro-dev
Subject:    What our customers want from Android
From:       nicolas.pitre () linaro ! org (Nicolas Pitre)
Date:       2012-01-31 21:01:24

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Zach Pfeffer wrote:

> On 31 January 2012 11:19, Nicolas Pitre <nicolas.pitre at linaro.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Zach Pfeffer wrote:
> >
> >> They love our builds, but they'd really like it if they could get
> >> stock AOSP builds for their boards on stable kernels that they can
> >> work with using fastboot that have been CI tested and QA'd.
> >>
> >> I'm not advocating for the wholesale destruction of our current way of
> >> life, tip kernels, tip toolchains, linaro-android-media-create, but I
> >> would like to move in a direction that gives our users what they want.
> >
> > And by the time you do that i.e. stable kernel and so on, then those
> > customers will come back asking for this and that new cool feature
> > available in the latest upstream kernel and ask you to backport it to
> > your stable kernel.
>
> Nico, you bring up a good point. Consolidating and upstreaming core
> ARM features that exist across each architecture is our main job.
>
> The customer ask remains the same though. If we deliver a platform
> with a set of features, customers don't want any of those features to
> break when we give them an upgrade.

You just can't have it both ways.  If you focus on a stable platform
then you cannot have the latest features.  If you develop new features,
it obviously can't be stable.  But whatever you do, customers will
always ask for both in a single package.

I think it is a matter of clearly defining what we do, and also what we
don't (and shouldn't) do.  Expectations about Linaro cannot be the same
as for Ubuntu/Canonical or Android/Google.

Nicolas