List:       linaro-dev
Subject:    Capturing HDMI output from a pandaboard running Android 4.0
From:       wlachance () mozilla ! com (William Lachance)
Date:       2011-11-29 22:33:32

[ I already asked this question here:
http://ask.linaro.org/questions/361/hdmi-output-on-android-build but it
was suggested on irc that I ask on the mailing list as well. ]

I'm trying to get my pandaboard running the Android 4.0 build of Linaro
(https://android-build.linaro.org/builds/~linaro-android/panda/)
outputting to an HDMI capture device (specifically a a blackmagic
decklink extreme 3d card), but am not having any luck so far. From what
I can gather from the schematics (http://www.pandaboard.org/node/222/)
and the documentation, I want to hook up to the first HDMI port for this
and then switch the primary display to that:

http://elinux.org/Panda_How_to_kernel_3_0_rel#Switching_primary_display_to_the_HDMI_port

However, this isn't giving me any output. I can tell that Android is up
and running (I can connect to it via adb or even take a screenshot via
ddms). I know the device for capture that I'm using is kind of finnicky
(it demands 1920x1024 at 60hz or nothing, see
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Project_Eideticker/DeckLink_Primer), so I
tweaked the following settings (after temporarily turning off overlay0,
as suggested):

echo "tv" > /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/overlay0/manager echo
"1920,1024" > /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/overlay0/output_size

Is there anything I'm missing? Are there any other platforms (Android
2.3? Ubuntu?) where HDMI output to this kind of device is known to work?
I have gotten this capture set up working using an LG G2X phone
(http://masalalabs.ca/2011/11/measuring-what-the-user-sees/), so I know
it should be possible in principle. Any help at all appreciated.

Will