List:       linaro-dev
Subject:    Tools and templates
From:       james.westby () canonical ! com (James Westby)
Date:       2010-07-30 14:31:45

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:44:14 +1200, Michael Hope <michael.hope at linaro.org> wrote:
> What tools and libraries should I use when writing
> infrastructure-style projects?  Do we have a preferred technology
> list?  Is there a style guide or standard templates that I can use?

Not that I know of.

There is the Canonical one that you have found, but that doesn't
necessarily apply, and I don't know of a Linaro-specific one.

> This came about in writing a little web application for tracking the
> changes in Linaro GCC vs upstream:
>  http://ex.seabright.co.nz/patchtrack/
>
> The code is at https://code.launchpad.net/~michaelh1/+junk/patchtrack.
>  It uses web.py for the app engine, web.py's built-in template engine,
> and a hacked up version of the wiki template.  I'd love to use tools
> that somebody else knows as well though :)
>
> Canonical have a preferred technology list but it's a bit heavy - zope
> or django are an overkill for something like this.

That's fine, I think choosing something appropriate is the right thing
to do.

The only thing to bear in mind is where something quick and light grows
in to something larger and important for our work, in which case using
more robust technology is appropriate.

(Not web.py as such, but for instance using a real db instead of
pickles. Moving from web.py to other technologies would be a good idea
if you want some of the more powerful features built in to django, or
there are lots of people who want to contribute and using something that
is more likely to be familiar to them would help.)

Thanks,

James