List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: LSR 1169 issue: missing point-and-click
From:       Jean Abou Samra <jean () abou-samra ! fr>
Date:       2023-06-21 12:57:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Le mardi 20 juin 2023 Ă  11:43 +0200, Simon Albrecht a Ă©crit  :
> Hello everyone,
>
> it's great to have LSR 1169 and it seems to be working as it should—many
> thanks to Jean Abou Samra and Werner Lemberg!
>
> However I'm sorry to write this mail because there is one issue I found
> ;) Any syllable but the last in a word doesn't have point-and-click the
> way it is implemented now. Maybe there's a way to generate a transparent
> markup just for point-and-click on the other syllables? I might be able
> to work on this at some time, but I can't say when, so in case someone™
> wants to pick it up, I make it known here :)

Well...

There is no silver bullet here. In the original snippet I wrote, when two syllables \
are squashed, they would still be typeset separately, and then printed adjacently. \
Werner improved the snippet to make it typeset the two syllables together as a single \
run of text instead (with \concat), in order to enable font ligatures — and complex \
text layout, for languages where this is applicable — between the two syllables. \
But it might be fiddly, after making Pango lay out the combined text with ligatures, \
to extract back the parts. Off the top, I *think* it's possible (I'd have to check \
how to tell Pango to force an itemization boundary at a given point; I think it can \
do that, since it's also able to render arbitrary parts of the text in a different \
color), but I'm pretty sure it requires new C++ code.

In the very short term (i.e., what can we do in Scheme that works in 2.24), I'm \
afraid the only available improvement would be to make the whole syllable link back \
to one of the input syllables in the code, and giving up on having point-and-click \
separate the syllables.

By the way, this problem is more general, since it also affects properties like color \
and whiteout. (There's a reason it's in LSR and not in LilyPond proper yet.)