List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: how to install in Linux
From:       Jean Abou Samra <jean () abou-samra ! fr>
Date:       2023-03-26 0:54:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Le vendredi 24 mars 2023 à 22:41 +0100, Dario Marrini a écrit  :
> Hi lilypond people,I'm using a LinuxMint 21.1 Linux OS distribution, it provides \
> 2.22 Lilypond version, but in website I see there is 2.24 as last stable version; \
> I've downloaded it, no installer is provided, how could I integrate the software in \
> my system? is there a script or something else that could automate the process, or \
> must I link every executable in /usr/bin or elsewhere, in any location 'touched' by \
> my $PATH ?

While William gave a correct answer about adding the `~/lilypond-2.24.1/bin` \
directory to your `$PATH`, I want to point out that you probably don't need to do \
this at all, unless you are using LilyPond from a terminal frequently and can't \
afford the inconvenience to type `~/lilypond-2.24.1/bin/` every time you call it. \
This is *not* the common case — rather, the common case is to use some editor like \
Frescobaldi or Emacs, and have it run LilyPond for you. In that case, telling the \
tool about where you put LilyPond is simpler, messes less with global state that is \
traditionally reserved to the package manager, and plays more nicely with installing \
several versions of LilyPond in parallel.