List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: Placing text on multi-voice part
From:       Jogchum Reitsma <j.reitsma () hccnet ! nl>
Date:       2021-10-23 10:24:34

Op 23-10-2021 om 03:10 schreef David Wright:
> On Fri 22 Oct 2021 at 17:22:16 (+0200), Jogchum Reitsma wrote:
>
>> I get the attached screenshot.
>>
>> But I would expect (and want...) the text snippet "ste"placed on the
>> three first quarter notes of the bar,   and the following "e" on the
>> lat quarter.
>>
>> The "lei -- son" then should be placed at the next bar.
>>
>> What do I do wrong here?
> You should read  § 2.1.1 of NR, particularly at "Aligning lyrics to a
> melody", "Using associatedVoice", "Multiple notes to one syllable" and
> "Divisi lyrics". For small areas of non-matching rhythms, they work
> well, but I find the method following, in "Polyphony with shared
> lyrics", scales better than the others.
>
> An example, hacked from a hymn, is attached. I copy one of the parts
> (usually soprano) as the basis of the "align" variable, and then
> subdivide (using ties) any note where another part moves. This looks
> after the alignment of syllables, and extension generation (manually
> set here). What I don't do is to copy/paste the moving parts
> themselves, like the first NR example does: time-wasting and error-prone
> IMO. The three-voice example is more how I do it, but uses slurs
> rather than my ties.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

I had to think a while what you mean by NR, but I think it's Note
Reference?

There I could not find the "Polyphony with shared lyrics" you mention
(using the 2.22.1 version of the documentation).

I use Frescobaldi for coding, and then your example does not fit there,
I think. In any case, the solution of Guy presented above works fine for
me, so for now I'm fine.

Thanks!

Jogchum