List:       lilypond-user
Subject:    Re: Unwanted double repeat opening bar
From:       Jogchum Reitsma <j.reitsma () hccnet ! nl>
Date:       2021-05-07 9:58:00

Op 07-05-2021 om 05:48 schreef David Wright:
> On Fri 07 May 2021 at 01:30:20 (+0200), Jogchum Reitsma wrote:
>> I want to set a piece which ends with a repeat, with two alternative
>> endings.
>>
>> Should be simple, I ´ve done it a number of times before.
> … either because there were no lyrics, or the lyrics were all aligned
> with the starts of measures, probably.
It ´s indeed the second option: in those cases the lyrics were all
aligned   with the starts of measures
>   Otherwise the repeat barlines
> "slide" along to where the next lyric starts.
While your solution presented below works fine, still, isn ´t it a bit
odd that Lilypond creates two opening repeat bars in such cases?
I can ´t think of a use case where that would be desirable.

>> But now:
>>
>> - when I set only the music, everything is ok,
>> - the moment I place the lyrics underneath, with the repeated section,
>> I get a double opening repeat bar, of which the first one is correct,
>> the second is not.
>> - the ending, with the two alternatives, renders fine.
> The choice is to:
>
> . set the lyric syllables just as they should lie under the part,
>    ignoring the repeats in the music. You can then use \addlyrics,
>    or any of the other lyrics commands, to add them into the
>    score's structure.
Which means leaving out the \repeat command from the lyrics, of course
leaving out the \alternative too.
This works fine here, thanks a lot.

I admit that I often find it difficult to find my way in the Lilypond
documentation - any case, I didn ´t find the problem, nor your solution.

> <snip>
> Cheers,
> David.

Again, thanks a lot!